Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to get small "starter" succulents

Posted by kwie2011 8a w. OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 23:58

I can't afford to buy the beauties I see in online shops, and I don't have enough plants yet for anyone to want to trade with me (gazillions of healthy green spider plant pups, but...nothing else), so where would you suggest I find some nice, interesting, inexpensive little succulent starts to get my collection going? I have jades and common things, but I'm pretty enamored with Sedum, Haworthia, Aeonium, some Kalanchoes, less common Crassula, and so on.

Also, I really want to try my hand with some of the "living stone" species, but I've only seen them for sale as seeds, which seems an excellent way for a relative newbie to the Mesembs to become disheartened very fast. Hard enough to grow a started plant!

I'm already all over eBay, but other suggestions, or specific eBay sellers would be greatly appreciated. (I'm shamefully envious of another poster who found Haworthia, lithops, and another lovely oddity at Home Depot, of all places!)

Thanks,

Kwie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to get small "starter" succulents

Hey can u help go down to whats up with my cactus and list whats wrong. Also don't bother seeds get theme from online or a hardware store

o

I just bought "9 miscellaneous succulents" and "9 miscellaneous cacti" on amazon. Both are really inexpensive, it looks like he raised the price of the plants & lowered shipping costs http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B005WCKBQO/ref=olp_tab_all here's a link. When mine came in the mail I was so happy they're really cool & diverse & they were all healthy so I'd definitely buy from them again. The only down side is that they don't identify any of the plants for you. I've also purchased a lot of succulents from Home Depot but beware I bought a couple of plants that were infested with spider mites that spread to one of my herb plants. Also I'm not sure if it's my lack of experience or what but my Home Depot succulents don't survive.

o

You got some pretty little plants, cljcksn. I like the Sedum, and the tight little blue rosette of...Echeveria sp. maybe(?) They're a bit out of my price range though (poverty bites). When I eventually get to the Home Depot in Eugene, I'll look at their plants.

Thanks, Spike. I wish I could help you more with your cacti, but beyond a little knowledge of scarring, or maybe recognizing watering or draining issues, I'm just not good enough with cactus to be of much use. I'm sure much more experienced growers will help you soon though.

o

o

I don't know about Oregon, but around here the local hardware store sells 2" succulents for $2 and I believe 4" for $5? The closest nurseries here have a better selection with slightly higher prices (still only a couple dollars). But it's California, and what with the drought everyone's suddenly into xeriscaping. Even the grocery store had an outdoor display of cacti and succulents.

o

Thanks, twiltye. I'll check our little hardware store. I don't think they normally keep plants, but maybe.

o

Thanks, twiltye. I'll check our little hardware store. I don't think they normally keep plants, but maybe.

o

I was in Eugene today, and found a totally salvageable root-rotted Aeonium 'kiwi' at Coastal Farm and Feed for $1. I also picked up some unknown sedums, a Crassula argentum 'gollum' and a 'Hobbit' for $2 each, and I got a bunch of odd leaves to root (Home Depot wouldn't discount their dying or dead plants, but didn't mind if I picked up dropped leaves). So, nothing really exciting - no extra cool Kalanchoes or mesembs or anything, but not a bad haul for a few bucks.

Would you believe Home Depot's succulents are grown in Canada?? Crazy.

o

Trying to buy cuttings rather than full grown plants might be a cheaper option. I have seen those on Etsy and ebay.

o

Also, getting a photobucket account is totally worth it. it lets you post multiple pics in a thread, just copy and paste the html link when you upload a photo to it. I always take tons of pics of my stuff :)

o

Good advice on both points, suivzmoi, thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here