Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

where to get small "starter" succulents

kwie2011
9 years ago

I can't afford to buy the beauties I see in online shops, and I don't have enough plants yet for anyone to want to trade with me (gazillions of healthy green spider plant pups, but...nothing else), so where would you suggest I find some nice, interesting, inexpensive little succulent starts to get my collection going? I have jades and common things, but I'm pretty enamored with Sedum, Haworthia, Aeonium, some Kalanchoes, less common Crassula, and so on.

Also, I really want to try my hand with some of the "living stone" species, but I've only seen them for sale as seeds, which seems an excellent way for a relative newbie to the Mesembs to become disheartened very fast. Hard enough to grow a started plant!

I'm already all over eBay, but other suggestions, or specific eBay sellers would be greatly appreciated. (I'm shamefully envious of another poster who found Haworthia, lithops, and another lovely oddity at Home Depot, of all places!)

Thanks,

Kwie

Comments (11)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Hey can u help go down to whats up with my cactus and list whats wrong. Also don't bother seeds get theme from online or a hardware store

• Celeste
    9 years ago

I just bought "9 miscellaneous succulents" and "9 miscellaneous cacti" on amazon. Both are really inexpensive, it looks like he raised the price of the plants & lowered shipping costs http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B005WCKBQO/ref=olp_tab_all here's a link. When mine came in the mail I was so happy they're really cool & diverse & they were all healthy so I'd definitely buy from them again. The only down side is that they don't identify any of the plants for you. I've also purchased a lot of succulents from Home Depot but beware I bought a couple of plants that were infested with spider mites that spread to one of my herb plants. Also I'm not sure if it's my lack of experience or what but my Home Depot succulents don't survive.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You got some pretty little plants, cljcksn. I like the Sedum, and the tight little blue rosette of...Echeveria sp. maybe(?) They're a bit out of my price range though (poverty bites). When I eventually get to the Home Depot in Eugene, I'll look at their plants.

Thanks, Spike. I wish I could help you more with your cacti, but beyond a little knowledge of scarring, or maybe recognizing watering or draining issues, I'm just not good enough with cactus to be of much use. I'm sure much more experienced growers will help you soon though.

• spikef35
    9 years ago

• twiltye
    9 years ago

I don't know about Oregon, but around here the local hardware store sells 2" succulents for $2 and I believe 4" for $5? The closest nurseries here have a better selection with slightly higher prices (still only a couple dollars). But it's California, and what with the drought everyone's suddenly into xeriscaping. Even the grocery store had an outdoor display of cacti and succulents.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, twiltye. I'll check our little hardware store. I don't think they normally keep plants, but maybe.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, twiltye. I'll check our little hardware store. I don't think they normally keep plants, but maybe.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was in Eugene today, and found a totally salvageable root-rotted Aeonium 'kiwi' at Coastal Farm and Feed for $1. I also picked up some unknown sedums, a Crassula argentum 'gollum' and a 'Hobbit' for $2 each, and I got a bunch of odd leaves to root (Home Depot wouldn't discount their dying or dead plants, but didn't mind if I picked up dropped leaves). So, nothing really exciting - no extra cool Kalanchoes or mesembs or anything, but not a bad haul for a few bucks.

Would you believe Home Depot's succulents are grown in Canada?? Crazy.

• suivezmoi
    9 years ago

Trying to buy cuttings rather than full grown plants might be a cheaper option. I have seen those on Etsy and ebay.

• suivezmoi
    9 years ago

Also, getting a photobucket account is totally worth it. it lets you post multiple pics in a thread, just copy and paste the html link when you upload a photo to it. I always take tons of pics of my stuff :)

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good advice on both points, suivzmoi, thank you.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia