Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Few Pictures and a Question

Posted by rosieroo 6A (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 0:01

Hi fellow GardenWebbers,

I'm sharing a few pictures, and I have a couple of ID questions.

Since moving everything outside for the summer, a number of my succulents have simply exploded with new growth, especially the jades, the rhipsalis pilocarpa, and the Thanksgiving cactus. What a difference being outside made, even though they are located in a South-facing window year-round! Watching the colour changes has been fun as well - most of the succulents are sporting lovely 'tans'.

I apologize for the somewhat blurry pictures; they're taken with a phone. Here's the Thanksgiving cactus:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Few Pictures and a Question

One of two jades in question - crassula ovata ssp ???

It's a bit etiolated - it was purchased as four plants in one pot, and had clearly been missing sunlight for a while. It, and the others that were with it, now have plenty of new growth, but I'm still considering hard pruning as they're just so leggy.

o

And the other jade, which I guessed to be crassula ovata "Crosby's Compact". I could very well be dead wrong, though, so please chime in! It's also been absolutely exploding with growth, and the old growth has turned a gorgeous maroon colour.

I hope that you, all of my fellow GardenWebbers, are enjoying your summer!

o

Bump!

o

• Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:18

rosieroo, that jade is beautiful! Why is it so red? Is that just the species or something? Mine gets a pretty red on the edges when it has direct sunlight, but not like that!!!

o

Deva,

Thanks! It didn't turn dark red until I brought it outside for the summer. The edges were only slightly red before that. I'm not sure about the species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here