Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

" I drove by it & thought, Wow! I've never seen that before."

hijole
9 years ago

I was driving back home from the Lake Elsinore area when I passed by this beauty and thought WOW! I'm going to Turn Around and see if there are any pups on this baby.
I was prepared to ask someone if I could buy one of them if there was.
Well when I finally drove up I was still in awe... and wondered, what type of agave is this...?

Well the closer I got the smaller my smile became :/
I thought, OMG... it's not real... I moved even closer and then closer until I reached out and touched it and discovered that it was not real, it was made out of METAL!

I started lol all by myself thinking boy I thought I had just ran into a rare type of agave plant, it was rare alright.

So the moral of my story is, if it looks to good to be real, it probably isn't, but check just in case. :)

Let me ask a question now. Do you think you woulda turned around an gone back to check it out a little closer?

Fooled big time!

Greg

Comments (11)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I know I DEFINATLEY would lol! And I would've been REAL DISAPPOINTED too! Poor Greg!! That must've been REAL disapointing, but funny as h3!! Too!! Lol

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The leaf in the middle is suspiciously upright ... and the spines on that plant are sparse and uneven! But all the rest is quite realistic.

However, not being a guru myself, I'm not certain whether it's an Agave or an Aloe. Maybe a hybrid? Are those called Alaves or Agaloes? Agoes?

(And I gotta ask: what's the purple one at the far right? -- and was it made from rusty rakes?)

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilbit, real disappointed is the perfect description of how I felt, or you could say REALLY DISAPPOINTED! Lol..but I got over it real quick tho ;)

Missingtheobvious, once I got closer everything was obvious and no longer suspicious. I had busted an imposter, but this one had me for a second, I was driving by @ 50 mph and caught a glimpse of it and decided to Turn @ and take a closer look. I didn't pay much attn. Too the other stuff, some were real and the others were made out of some type of scrap.
    Greg

• a_shau
    9 years ago

For anyone who travels up to SFO airport, there is an incredible succulent & cactus garden very randomly off one of the AirTrain stops - the West Field stop, which is right before the rental car stop.

I was there randomly looking for the post office (which I never found) and instead saw this:

{{gwi:600826}}

There's more than just what's in the photo. There were also giant agaves taller than me - I did a double take and thought they were fake but they weren't! So, a little destination for whoever flies into SFO and has a little extra time to explore!

• notolover
    9 years ago

Greg-sorry that the plant wasn't real, but that's what the addiction does to us. I wouldn't go back because I'm not an Agave lover, but I can understand your interest; it definitely looks unique.

Wow! That succulent garden by the airport looks fantastic. Not a weed in sight, you can tell someone really takes good care of that patch.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

Nice! We have seeds, if anyone is interested.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GermanStar , Seeds... Lol... are you referring to METAL chips. In Order to make our own cactus statue ?
    If that's the case I'll take$ 20lbs. Just to start.

Notolover, Lol.. your right! I must of looked pretty desperate out there, and I'll be honest, I was going to get a pup one way or another .

Ashau, Very nice indeed thanks for sharing, I am always amazed how cacti & succulents grow so vibrant and look so healthy when ever you get closer to the ocean. I tried looking that up the other day while thinking about it but couldn't find a reason.

Greg

• notolover
    9 years ago

You won't believe this, but yesterday I was at one of the grocery stores buying breakfast items and they actually had some of these for sale!

Much smaller than in your pic, but I burst out laughing when I saw it :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

lol..From here it does look real...lol

I would of drove back too..

MIke

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

lol..From here it does look real...lol

I would of drove back too..

MIke

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol.. We're all a bunch of addicts haha ha.. Well driving by it looked real, and I thought about it and thought about it some more and then about a mile down the road I turned around :/ what if I never see one like that again (signs of addiction.)
    So I make a U turn and follow my instincts only too be disappointed, This isn't the first time, I've had some encounters with some nice looking plants I couldn't get too and could only bite my knuckles :/ lol..

Greg