Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe(?) ID #4 & final

Posted by kwie2011 8a w. OR (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 0:35

Love this one.

Thanks in advance for any help - even of it's just to tell me it isn't even an Aloe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe(?) ID #4 & final

These are aloe, yes. But sorry I can't ID them will wait for others to chime in

o

Thanks, David. This one must be more difficult. Pretty though.

o

Aloe rauhii var. 'White Fox'

grin

o

There are several similar looking hybrids like that. Some may be newly named, or folks giving new names to old ones (naughty people)! One old name is 'Snowflake', another 'Quicksilver' (though you don't often see it mentioned, so it may not be around anymore). 'White Fox' is a newer one.

o

If I got the genus and species right, I'll be happy even if the variety isn't quite right.

Thanks again, Rosemarie.

o

MANY aloes look like yours... here are just a few:

Aloe 'Delta Lights'

o

Aloe Dapple Green

o
another option

Aloe Doran Black

o
and yet another possible candidate

Aloe Lizard Lips

o

Aloe Silver Ridge

o

Awe crap. :-( I was so proud of myself for "finding" the right variety.

Okay lzrddr, I'd like to learn. Are those all the same species, but different cultivars? Are the differences among them mature size, growth habit, flower color, or something else? It seems unlikely that growers would create so many essentially identical cultivars, so there must be something I can't see. Can you help educate me?

Thanks,

Kwie

o

Kwie,

Those aren't species, those are hybrids, which are the result of crossing, for example, Aloe descoingsii with Aloe parvula. Some get complicated, as you can have a number of crosses with result in a hybrid, many of them themselves the results of backcrosses and using F2/F4 hybrids.

o

Quicksilver grown in shady position

o

Almost forgot this one, Aloe Wunderkind. All these are hybrids as someone mentioned... some very complex and some perhaps even not disclosed. Some may not even be 'official'. But many have similar 'ingredients' though some do not. But all are different and none may be your aloe. It is nearly impossible to identify an unknown hybrid unless it is really distinct...

o

Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here