Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Agave Plants can take a licking & keep on ticking:

hijole
9 years ago

If you're looking for a very forgiving type of cactus for a difficult spot in the yard, look no further. These agave's are your solution they can handle almost any situation any soil and then make you look like a Pro :)

I just stuck these in the ground to hold them some where and forgot about them and look how they look with no attention at all. Yup I'm voting the agave for the "Most Hardy & most forgiving "

Have you cast your vote yet?

Greg

Comments (15)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Yea ,The only thing that kills them is too much kindness and water. I lost some A parry truncate to cold and rain their spring but otherwise ,they can handle most of my blind incidental cruelty. I had some A. lophanthas that some one gave me in a pot bare root since March waiting for the dirt to plant them. I got them in PIG yesterday. I had to brig in some dirt. They do not like my infertile caliche. They will live but not grow. good dirt for bonsai agaves. Now there is a concept. They are wrinkled in the 100 degree heat but still plenty alive. We have not had rain since june. They get a little water to establish and then they are on their own.

The second one is an A parry truncata that I had popped out of the ground because its buddies had rotted during some June rainstorms. I think they might have had some rot from our cold winter that traveled up to the crown. Well its roots are fine and it has been patiently waiting for me to put him back in. Being a plant in my yard is a hard chancy business.

{{gwi:601713}}

{{gwi:601715}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Now you've done it, Greg! That medio-picta would look great in my front island! Unfortunately for me, my husband's favorite bird of paradise is taking up that space - for now!

I only have a few varieties of Agave, but all are doing well. I have moved some pups from A. desmettiana several times and they are finally at rest. Here's the Mama plant - with more babies snuggled beneath her.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wantonamara, you know i just realized i have lost a few of that type of agave's also, the A. Parry. I am assuming their a little more sensitive or something... in any case there gone.

Crenda, lol... hey that agave you have is looking mighty nice too and it would enjoy California for sure ...
    Hey if you want maybe we could exchange pups for pup after all it would look nice in your front yard :) Just let know & we can Arrange it.

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am going to give my A. parry more of a gravelly rocky mound this time.

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

A. parryi wants all the sun you can direct its way and needs to dry thoroughly between waterings, just like your cacti. It may be surprising to learn that as well as it does in the desert, A. parryi is really more of a woodlands denizen. They thrive in openings in the forest (roadsides are ideal), and may start rotting once the opening starts closing due to new woodlands growth.

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Germanstar, These guys could hang out in the sun all day long and still look refreshed.
    Thanks for the tip on a parry, so can I ask what the ideal conditions are for them, seeing mine have died, I do have one but it seems to be struggling even planted next to the other agave's so up to this point I've just thought they were fussy.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 10:23

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Thanks Germanstar

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Gregg, are you sure that front row agave is real, or are you trying to fool us? It looks too perfect..lol

MIke

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol... Mike, what can I say besides thanks, these are for reals :) the sun is shining behind them and they look lit up.

Greg

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Ya know Mike, Greg has been know to post pix of metal agave. What was that drive by one? Agave ferrousafolia?

Nice shots all.

tj

Edit to add link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drive-by Agave

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 21:45

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Exactly Tj...lol

Got ya Greg..That was a darn good one..I'm still laughing over that one..

MIke

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm SERIOUS! ð¯

LOL.... Yeah we need to start carrying metal detectors to plant & garden shows just in case. Sheesh! things are getting out of hand! I coulda got in an accident making that U-turn on the Frwy ð¦ lol. ..

Hey guys have an awesome weekend, Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This agave is just happy to be in my yard so he is shining bright like a diamond.

Crenda, I did receive your package yesterday, thank you so much I love the plants very much. ðÂÂÂ

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Crenda,

Greg

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Hey, Greg! Glad they arrived in relatively good shape. I know they'll love California!

The smallest plant is also an A. desmettiana. When I removed some pups a small one was in the bunch. So I popped it into a 4-inch pot to see if it would root since it is smaller than what I would have removed.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner