Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worst and Best "house-plant" Succs and cacti

Posted by suivezmoi 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 6:50

I was reading a couple posts, and someone mentioned that a couple succs (I can only remember lithops) will not survive or thrive being a houseplant.

Which ones can be grown well in the house, and which ones will commit suicide?

I have a ton at this point, and I know some of them might need to come indoors since I will be moving to an apartment w/o a balcony or porch space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worst and Best "house-plant" Succs and cacti

Also I just noticed I'll be moving to a diff region in less than a month, I'll be in 9b instead of 8b. If that helps with the "outdoor only" living question

o

I grow all my plants indoor at windowsill, I can say that most of them are doing fine, but some definitely like it more than the others. I think obviously Crassula do okay as houseplant, also Aloe and Haworthia can adapt very well. Still need some bright light, though.

It's funny because believe or not, on this other website, their list of top 5 succulent "houseplants" included Lithops! Mine are doing okay so far.. bright light plus growing lights are satisfactory for them I think.

My other plants include some more mesembs, an Echeveria, Adromischus, Anacampseros, Senecio, Kalanchoe, Pachyphytum, Orbea and Stapelia. All seem happy so far. I hope they can all make it this winter..

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:37

o

I grow a ton of succulents indoors, but I am very fortunate to have an abundance of light, full sun and otherwise. It's not an indoor/outdoor issue, it really is a light issue.

o

Sorry, you asked for specifics, here's a list:
Regular jade and gollum jade
Huernia zebrina
aloe vera hybrid
Graptopetalum paraguayense
Haworthia mutica
H. attenuata
Kalanchoe daigremontiana (mother of thousands)
Kalanchoe tubiflora (mother of thousands)
Sedum burrito (burro's tail)
Sedum rubrotinctum
Euphorbia milii
Ceropegia woodii
Stapelia schneideriana
a NOID echeveria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here