Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caudex1

25th annual Inter-City C&S show & sale

caudex1
13 years ago

Truck is packed and I'm ready to drive 6hrs to the biggest and best C&S show on the west coast. I have 11 of my favorite succulents staged and ready to show.

Here they are in alphabetical order

Aloe chortoliriodes

Aloinopsis peersii

Alluaudia montagnacii

Anacampseros telephiastrum

Cyphostemma cirrhosum

Euphorbia decidua

Jatropha species

Opeculycaria pachypus

Pachypodium brevicaule

Raphionacme flanaganii

Seyrigia humbertii

You'll have to wait till I get back on Monday for photos

Comments (31)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Lucky You!!

Cant wait for photos.. Have a good time! and Best wishes!!
    JoJo

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

you selling or displaying only? I will see your stuff Sunday if it's in the show.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Keith,

Best of luck to you. As you know, you'll be up against some stiff competition, but your plants/pots/staging should stand you in good stead - I reckon at least three blues, if not six or nine.

***'biggest and best'? You haven't yet been to the San Diego Show, so you'll want to revise that, I'm sure, when you do. They'll be blown away with your plants and pots, too.

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

The inter-city show is the largest cactus and succulent show in the world, though I have heard the San Diego show is pretty nice.

• ltecato
    13 years ago

I recently got Raphionacme flanaganii, thinking it might be something new and rare. But now I see them all over the place. Still a nice plant.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

Alludia montagnacii is an incredibly slow growing potted plant. A really nice looking African version of a "silver torch" cacti..just 100x slower growing not in ground in a hot climate.Hardy to 30f at least.
    Good luck!

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my show stats;

1 outstanding specimen rosette
    4 1st
    6 2nd
    1 3rd

and have purchased 75 plants in 2 days. I'll go back today and see if there's anything I missed and at 5:00 I'll pack up my show plants and drive home.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

caudex -

Don't know what I am more impressed with...the number of awards you won with your plants...or the number of plants you bought in 2 days! Crikey!

Were there any plants left for anyone else to buy?

T

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

It was a wonderful show, but not quite as amazing as the '09 show. We went on Saturday. Horrible long line (in the blazing sun) to buy plants. The Alluaudia montagnacii I remember, quite impressive. The best Echeveria on the champion table was stunning, it was nearly white. I could not read the tag and wondered what it was.

There was a new 'Madagascar thorn forest' area out in the Arboretum with Alluadias and some Pachypodiums(?) that were about 10' tall and blooming beautifully, and nearby a half dozen huge Agave 'Blue Glow' and an Agave guiengola that was about 5' across. A nice day out, too bad it was so hot, even though it wasn't really that hot, it felt like it.

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The entries to show were down 150 plants compared to last year, although there were over 1450 specimens shows and it was all most an even split between cacti and succulents. Last it was 2/3 succulents.

There were 50 vendors over the 2 day show so there was plenty of plants left others, although I did get almost all the rarities on the Friday pre-sale. The lines were very long, there was a couple of people that had heat exhaustion and nearly collapsed.

Anyway...on to the photos

My Pachy brevicaule, blue ribbon and outstanding specimen rosette
    {{gwi:603610}}

Aloe chortoliriodes
    {{gwi:603614}}

Raphionacme flanaganii
    {{gwi:603616}}

Aloinopsis peersii
    {{gwi:603619}}

Can't believe I forgot to get photos of the my other blue ribbon winners, the Jatropha, Seyrigia and Cyphostemma. Will take shots of those today.

Operculycaria pachypus
    {{gwi:603625}}

Euphorbia decidua
    {{gwi:603626}}

Alluaudia montagnacii
    {{gwi:603627}}

{{gwi:603629}}

I still have 220 more photos to upload

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

I want a P.pachypus. Just so I can say pachypus.

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

P? You should get an "O" pachypus and put in the ground with the rest of your plants.

Recount;
    1 outstanding specimen
    6 blue ribbons
    3 red
    1 green

• philofan
    13 years ago

Congrats, Keith! Worthy wins for sure, and I like your custom planters.

I recognize the alluaudia from your staging demo in San Jose.

I look forward to photos of the show (when you have time of course).

Tom

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom!

Seyregia humbertii 2 yrs ago, 8in pot with 4ft stems
    {{gwi:603630}}

Seregia for the show in a 6in container
    {{gwi:603631}}

• lady_ee
    13 years ago

WOW Guys!!! Your plants and pots are AMAZING!!! Each one looks like a little work of art and gives me the feeling that it knows it is home in its pot. I especially like Euphorbia decidua's pot Keith very cool!

• paracelsus
    13 years ago

Congratulations Keith! I'm not surprised at your success. Your plants and pots are amazing! ;)

75 new plants? That tops my largest show haul by three-fold. You have a lot of pot making, and potting to do. Have fun.

Brad

• User
    13 years ago

I saw your plants there! congratulations! by the way, I took three million (ok, just over a hundred) photos of the show. They're at this link if anyone would like to take a peek - it was my first show so I thought everything looked awesome. . . :-)
    None of the photos have captions, but I was thinking enough to get name tags in with some of the specimens. Other than that - you're all on your own!!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Inter-City C&S show Pics

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks zz!

Added a few more photos

Here is a link that might be useful: photo update

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Really fantastic pics (and, of course, plants)! I really enjoyed those. Just don't get shows like that in New England (or at least that I have been to up here...).

BTW, can I have that pachycormus discolor, please? Can't find any old gnarly ones around like that one, either...

T

• succulentfan
    13 years ago

Great plants Keith congrats on your wins!

Does anybody know the name of the plant in photo 51 from the album zzini posted? It looks like a euphorbia obesa hybrid.

Here is a link that might be useful: euphorbia?

13 years ago

Keith,

You did well, but no less than you deserved, I think, with such magnificent left-right-left combinations of plant, pot and staging. Great job, and it's really nice that you exhibited so many plants.

It's going to take me a while to get through the pictures, but it will be like enjoying a meal.

Of the many plants that you got, aside from the Aloe, what's your favourite?

13 years ago

SF,

No, but to my unlearned eye it's got some Euphorbia horrida in it, and if I screw my eyes up tight I can see a dwarf version of the regular E. horrida that is, whatever it is, beautifully grown and potted. But that's probably not what it is.

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sfan,
    That plant is horrida x symmetrica, Miles2go entered that beauty.

Jeff,
    I brought home a few favorites...Cyphostemma uter, Cyphostemma humile, Coccinia trilobata, Euphorbia faushawei x clavigera, Bursera lancifolia and numerous medusoid euphorbias.

Bursea lancifolia
    {{gwi:603632}}

{{gwi:603633}}

{{gwi:603634}}

Need to get photos of the rest

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Euphorbia faushawei x clavigera
    {{gwi:603635}}

{{gwi:603638}}

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:603640}}

{{gwi:603643}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos added

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Outstanding!

If you ever have the chance to see Keith's stagings (plants, pots, and all) in person,
    you should jump at the opportunity. You will be inspired.

Josh

• bjbond
    13 years ago

For a guy like me, who's never really seen cactii, nor really paid it much attention, I gotta say - WOW!!!

caudex1:
    I had to double check, when looking at some of pictures posted, as I though I was in the bonsai forum.

My favs are :
    Aloinopsis peersii

side note:
    That bark detail on the Bursea lancifolia is really nice. You took some great shots. (and I might add, nice camera!)

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you bond,
    C&S staging for show is going more and more toward bonsai, the plants just lend themselves perfectly to that style.

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

succulentfan, the Euphorbia in that photo on your link was of a Euphorbia horrida var striata X Euphorbia symmetrica... if you can believe the owner.. I have noticed that a good 10% of the identified plants in these shows, even this one, are incorrect, some with names that don't exist (owners obviously just made them up).

{{gwi:603645}}

• succulentfan
    13 years ago

Thanks Keith and lzddr,
    Nice looking euphorbia for sure. I'll have to be on the lookout for one.

Keith, I just have to say it again you plants, pots, and staging is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

• caudex1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The last off the photos have been uploaded

Aloe pearsonii, one I still searching for
    {{gwi:603647}}

for you jade lovers
    {{gwi:603649}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos added