Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

4 succulents wanting ID

auron22
10 years ago

Impulsively got these about 2 years ago and I don't think they came with names. Didn't really care since I took good enough care for them....but now I want to know what they are for sure in case I am doing something wrong or could do something better. I know the top right corner (golden barrel cactus)....I just don't know the other 3. The photo is a little dated, since then I've repotted whatever that small succulent is into something much smaller.
{{gwi:603666}}

Comments (6)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Back right: Echinocactus grusonii 'Golden Barrel Cactus'
    Front left: Some sort of Rhipsalis salicornioides (?)

Planto

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto,
    Thank you :) Rhipsalis salicornioides seems accurate enough to me.

Now I just need two more ID's for the bottom right and top left....

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Auron22,
    Sure thing. :) I am not 100% positive about the species of Rhipsalis, but I do know it's a Rhipsalis (their care is the same for all of them I believe).

Planto

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

RoRo, we're going to send you to Rhipsalis school. Move you to a jungle so you can see all about plants that like humidity. (Hard to learn that in the Shangri-La of all things desert.) Then I'm going to go visit so you can teach me.

My guess is the Rhipsalis is cereuscula. Pretty sure of it. Gets pendant, small white flowers, small white-ish berries. Grows a couple of long stems (about 12 inches), then they grow a host of short stems, a few of which grow longer and make more short stems. Easy to grow, best exhibited in a hanging basket. Good drainage, lots of organic matter, avoid something like African violet soil that gets soggy. Here in Penna. I give them full sun in the winter, shade in the summer. Nice plant, better than the hybrid holiday cactus for ease of care.

Rhipsalis salicornioides really deserves the common name of Drunkard's Dream. Shaped more like the classic Coke bottle, but if you are of a mind to, you can see tiny beer bottles too. I'll go get a pic.

The pic shows 3 species, as far as I can tell. In the center is the Hatiora salicornioides, on the right with the long thick stems is something else, and the other one with bursts of growth is the plant in question.

{{gwi:603668}}

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 14:15

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Hey! Or HAY! (Horse talk, ya know) Why are you sending ME to Rhipsalis school, Dzitmo? And, Yes, you should come visit! Doubt I could teach you anything, though! :P

I'm still mulling over what I think the tall, yellow-spined one might be.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Dz,

Why does RoRo get to go to Rhipsalis school? She didn't even correctly ID a plant yet - give the lady a chance, eh, you Pasha of Akersia. That is a nice plant pictured, mate, so I forgive you.

I'm guessing back left is a Haageocereus / Pilosocereus / Cleistocactus, but until it's larger or until someone smarter than me comes along (not a difficulty, that), that's what I'm sticking with. Front right, another guess would be Ferocactus/Hamatocactus.