Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

Jade ID

I was wondering if any of these cuttings might be Crosby's Compact? I put a quarter next to them for scale.

{{gwi:604664}}

Also, here's a bigger one that has been enjoying the cooler nights.

{{gwi:604665}}

Comments (11)

• sradleye
    10 years ago

nice and colorful. are they all the same plant? the first pic of the small ones a lot of the leaves look pointed like the "propeller jade" crassula obliqua (sp?)

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if they are the same plant. These were sent to me as single leaves this past spring. They were supposed to be Crosby's Compacta. The one on the right looks a little different than the others I have.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

they are doing well either way! the two smaller ones, middle and right, still look pointed to me. points - obliqua, rounded - crassula ovata. at least how i understand it. hopefully someone smarter than myself will chime in. the leaf size does appear to me, to be more the crosby compact size.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The plant on the right could be a compact Jade. Those darker purple leaves are an indicator. The leaves also seem to be half the size of the other leaves.

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,
    Thanks. I was hoping you'd take a look. I have a lot of Jades, but I don't have a lot of variety. I'm really hoping that one is a compact. The smaller leaves is what I was looking at. I wasn't aware they had different color.

10 years ago

Yessir, the compact Jades often have strong purple coloring on the top and bottom of the leaves, and the leaves develop really excellent color in full sun. Here's one of my compact Jades:

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice looking! I've seen you post that before, and I assumed it was a hummels....... I hope mine looks like that some day!

10 years ago

It consistently has better color than my Sunset Jade ;-)
    I "rescued" this one many years ago, and I sure am glad I did. I didn't know what it was when I bought it. I found it growing under a shelf in low light, unable to plump its leaves due to a saturated root-zone. It hasn't looked the same ever since I took over the care. Here's an old pic...what a difference, eh?

• lme5573
    10 years ago

I thought I would share a photo for comparison. The plant on the left is Crassula obliqua (propeller jade) from HD in February. The center plant is Crosby's Compact, grown from a cutting from AmericanGolden (Josh, thanks!) and the ones in the back and right are an unnamed wavy and a Gollum jade. And I didn't forget the quarter for comparison! :-)
    My Crosby's Compact is is a much smaller pot and much younger than the other jades, but I thought you'd like a comparison of leaf shapes, colors and sizes. Of course, your plants will vary.
    Believe it or not, mine have been outside since early May, but I have many cloudy days - that pesky Lake Michigan does it again.
    Enjoy!
    Lennie in Grand Rapids, MI

10 years ago

Nice assortment, Lennie!

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lennie,
    Your plants look great! Your CC does look alot like mine. Fingers crossed that's what I have!

Rob