Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Army worms (caterpillars) eating Senecio

In the past week, I've caught army worms (caterpillars of a boring moth, not pretty butterfly,) eating the flowers/buds from 2 kinds of Senecio. Anyone who has these outside may want to inspect. 'Tis their season. The piles'o'poo and chewed/missing parts are easy to spot, then find the cat if you see that.

I left these guys on the porch floor, surely something ate them before they could find more plants to munch, an anole or bird.

Comments (11)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

The almost look like those dreaded tent worms. They cleaned out the woods of Pa. about 10 years ago. Took lots of spaying and I think they used a bio weapon I think but unsure. I know I don't see them anymore.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are similar to tent worms, that's one of the things I searched trying to ID them because I definitely see those in trees around here. That's my fingertip at the bottom of the pic, these guys were pretty small but had eaten a surprising amount of one of my plants. The first one I found was much more tiny and I noticed him right away because he/she had taken his first bites from the flower stalk of a very small plant I was watching very closely to see the flowers.

10 years ago

Yuck, so what are you planing. Remove them as you find them or spray? Myself I think I would spray them with Bayer or any of the fruit sprays they sell.
    I just started to water my plants with the Bayer 3 in 1 to make sure all pest are dead before I start bring in most of my plants starting next month.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I can easily control these guys, just pick them off. Anything that blooms may be sampled by a hummingbird or butterfly, and anoles spend a lot of time in/around the potted plants. Not only are the cats a potential meal for somebody, I wouldn't poison the mini-environment I've created over something so easily manually controlled. Caterpillars might not move fast enough to be noticed by an anole, (and many turn into beautiful butterflies, so might be welcome to munch at will,) but they (anoles) are, AFAIK, the hardest-working plant-pest controllers around here. When I choose to put my plants out in the environment, I feel compelled to deal with any problems in a non-harmful way, especially to the beneficial native critters attracted to the plants I've put in their home.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

I love your philosophy, purple. And one of the things I miss most from my years living in Miami Beach is enjoying the anoles.

10 years ago

Once again, good advise.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

anybody know what the eggs look like. I found two patches of these on an aloe cutting today. very tiny white specs about the size of a grain of sand. my googling things like "tiny white balls on plant" got me straight to army worms and I saw one pic that looked similar and a bunch that did not. thanks

Original Author
    10 years ago

The first thing I try to find when I find eggs is a desirable butterfly, so searched aloe host plant. At a glance, that's doubtful. A search of "eggs on aloe" turned up a bunch of stuff about hair, a search of "eggs on aloe -hair" didn't cause a particular pest to 'jump out.' If this was my own searching, I would have been more thorough, spending more time, actually clicking some links and reading some stuff, but the impression of the 2 mins I spent on it was that it's probably something not a traditional indoor plant pest, but some type of outside entity that may or may not be a leaf muncher. These do resemble armyworm eggs, going by the preponderance of similarity method for looking at searched pics. If you investigate further, I'm curious with you. I've found a few armyworms, but no clusters of eggs like that. Maybe they come in singles/smaller batches too? ...and your plant looks like it's inside? So that's the longest way of saying IDK ever, I think, but maybe points you in the direction of finding out.

The 'garden clinic' forum would be a good place to post this pic.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

thanks for the effort purple. this has actually been outside (the terrible color is sunburn), I brought it in to photo and ogle further at it. I removed the two leaves where the eggs were completely and put it back outside. I did not notice any other plants with eggs. haven't really had time or desire to search much more. when army worms came up first I remembered this thread and thought I would give it a go. thanks again.... I attached the photo I found that looked similar, looking again these seem much bigger than mine.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, there are so many things that lay eggs like that... wish I knew more to tell you. What did you do with the removed leaves? I might be curious and put them in a little plastic thing with a lid, just to see what comes out.

I'm not sure I understand about the new pic. That's someone else's pic that's supposed to be known as armyworm eggs?

• sradleye
    10 years ago

thought about saving the guys but ended up just tossing out with the trash. the new pic was some random pic off the internet listed as army worm eggs. i also posted in garden clinic per your suggestion.