Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Full sun in 5a colors

These aloe pups were separated from mom about year ago. They are all in exactly same location, side-by-side. I find it interesting how different they are - some really red, some more green. The 'fattest' leaves are on the most green one.

Rina

Comments (11)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

So pretty! Mine just got sun burned, no matter how slowly I introduced the direct sunlight! I ended up giving it away to someone who would have it inside.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Beautiful aloes! Isn't it curious when plants sharing the same area and conditions look different? I had 2 Aloe vera plants that did the same thing - one what quite bronze and the other quite green.

These Sedum adolphii were planted at the same time and obviously get the same sun, water, etc. Some are greener, some are yellow/orange and a few are red. Just one of Mother Nature's little surprises, I guess!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deva, was it same/similar aloe? Or some other succulents?

Crenda, yes - that's what makes it more interesting. I wonder if the health and/or vigor of plant makes difference; it would maybe make 'weaker' plant react differently.

This little aeonium Kiwi has never looked better for me: it has been in full sun ever since it was taken outside, and seems to like it. It got rained on a lot over past couple of weeks, and it is also in full sun. I thought they sleep in summer, but it seems to be growing. Love the bright green centers, and little darker 'lines' in the middle of the leaves.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 12:39

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aloe juvenna - while still very etiolated, it is also enjoying the sun, some tips are getting that reddish color.
    (first photo is taken inside, the color should be just a bit lighter green).

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jades in the full sun - all of these grown from cuttings...too many now. I think everyone I know is getting a jade plant for Christmas, lol.

Rina

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Your plants are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Rina!!!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LilBit

Thank you, they are still 'recovering' from a long, dark & cold winter!
    Nothing to compare to those growing in warm climate - but to see even smallest improvement is so much special.

Aeonium balsamiferum is doing well right now too, also in full sun & gets water whenever it rains.

Rina

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Plants finally look so beautiful and winter is just around the corner, Im starting to hate winter more and more.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NT

You are right, by the time they start looking good it's time to 'pack them in' again. So hard to get enough light inside, I am using shoplights (many!) and they are still very etiolated by the time spring arrives.
    Here is what happened to (echeveria-edited see note below) xGraptoveria Fred Ives...poor guy had to be decapitated...but, rosette is looking great for now, and getting some babies on the trunk (there are others that got same treatment).

Rina

Edit - just found out this should be labeled as xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' not echeveria...so I apologize for giving wrong name...

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:37

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Yea, I had aloes and other succulents a few inc under my T8 and many of them dried out. Low humidity and high lights got me worried for this winter. Do you mist your plants under light during winter? Watering? When did you chop the guy off, spring? I have my mother of thousands that needs to be cut off and I dont know what to do, I want to do it asap so it could atleast get its roots out by winter. Sorry Im asking questions here :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I chopped the echeveria sometimes in beginning of June.
    Same with many others, like this nodulosa (this is 2nd time in 2yrs-seems to grow really fast) and both are growing babies from the stems. Some of the others: e. Black Prince, e. topsy turvy, and more I can't think of right now.

I think mother of thousand grows like weed, (I actually got rid of it-most likely all) - unless it's Pink butterflies? If you need to chop it, do it.

I don't mist plants at all, just water if/when necessary, but I keep them in pretty cool room during winter (under 50deg.) so they need less water anyway.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 0:02