Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Care tips for propeller and retusa?

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

I know I keep saying this, but I think this is my last two plants of the year...maybe :P.
Acquired these two from the same backyard nursery, always wanted another Haworthia because they require less light so it's perfect for my windowsill. And just couldn't resist the unique look of the Crassula falcata. Hopefully it doesn't grow too fast I know these can get quite large.

{{gwi:605045}}

{{gwi:605046}}

Is there anything in particular I should be alarmed about these two plants? I think most Haworthias are dormant during summer, so not too much water at the moment? And for the propeller plant, does it take similar care compared to the other Crassulas?
They'll both be getting out of that soil in a week or two, but in the mean time I'd love to know more about them.

Comments (5)

• hijole
    9 years ago

David, I think you should be more concerned with your addiction which sounds like it's out of control,
    "This is my last one, I promise! Lol..

Hey just go ahead and splurge ... Buy, .. plant.. and enjoy :)

Besides this is one addiction that is healthy.

Sorry I don't know anything about your new plants other than they are very good looking and thick.

Greg

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, it's true! It's just that sadly I'm running out of space for my plants. Good to know they're healthy, thanks!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I see people planting their succulents and cactus in pots leaving a large protruding rim. Is there a reason for this? The propeller plant will branch outwards and hang as it gets bigger. I have mine in a group planting in a wide broad pot. I do the opposite. I raise the plant i with rocks above the dirt surface so I can create a crown of dirt. That way I see the plant better and it has less chance of getting crown rot problems due to over watering and lack of evaporation at the ground level. I also get to play with the aesthetics of the rocks which is a factor when the plants are small. I am not saying that your process is wrong, I am just curious about the reason. I have seen several people do this.

I have my propeller plant out in all day sun in summertime Texas and it gets once a week water. The haworthia gets mostly shade with morning and afternoon slanting light. It gets LIGHT watering once every two week or just spray a couple times a week till it cools down around here. We are hovering at 100F. I have them both in a fairly lean gravely mix. I am not a huge recipe follower , so it is not THE gritty mix. I usually use what I have around the place, and that varies. It is also in a group planting with rocks. As they grow larger I end up pulling rocks out as they get crowded.I like having fewer larger pots aesthetically. I still have many small ones but it does give a sense of variation.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@wantonamara
    Thanks for the watering and lighting tips!

Just to clear some things, I actually didn't plant these. I got them from a backyard nursery and haven't repotted them. I'm not sure why the person planted them so deeply in the pot leaving so much space on top, especially for the haworthia. I fill the soil till half an inch to the brim and fill the rest with top dressing. They usually goes down a bit more after a few watering so it's perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: My plants

• Laura Robichaud
    9 years ago

David, from experience, it's not the summer that is the issue, it's keeping these plants looking good in the winter. Since yours are always inside, it's such a challenge. I hope you're able someday to be in a place to get your collection outside in the summer. You would be surprised by the difference in how they grow, their color and just their general health.

Be sure to cut way back on your watering so that most of your plants cease growing in the low light of the winter. It can absolutely be heartbreaking to see a robust, beautifully grown echeveria get etiolated even if kept in the brightest, southern window. Keeping them dry also sometimes bring spider mites, who love the dry, winter windowsill plants, so watch your collection closely.

Good luck!