Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan560_gw

Humidity and cactus

Susan560
9 years ago

I have lots of cactus and succulant plants. I live on the coast in Texas so very humid here. I've never had any problems before this year and I've had my plants for several years. Most are getting big. I bought them as tiny babies and watched them grow up. Fascinating! Anyway, they are all planted in "gritty" mix, sand, perlite and potting soil. All have rocks in the bottom. This year it seems to have rained more and even higher humidity. So now I'm seeing rot on a few. Breaks my heart. So what am I doing wrong? I've googled and read lots of conflicting opinions. For instance, some say no rocks on the bottom. Also, should I have rocks on the top of my soil too? Somebody please help me save my cactus by telling me what to do. Thx in advance.

Comments (12)

• penfold2
    9 years ago

A gritty mix is generally considered to be one where all particles are at least 1/8" in diameter. Smaller ingredients like sand and potting soil (peat), will create a perched water table, where water is held in the lower portion of the soil like a sponge. If conditions do not allow this water to be quickly removed through transpiration or evaporation, the roots begin to die and rot. The solution is to switch to a true gritty mix with no fine particles.

The ingredients can vary, but the important thing is the particle size. As an example of particle size, here's what I use:

{{gwi:564132}}

Many people also add pine or fir bark as an organic ingredient. Other potential ingredients are Turface, Floor Dry, pumice, perlite, granite, lava rock, etc. Locating the ingredients can be a bit difficult for some, but the result is well worth it. There are many discussions here about gritty mixes. The standard gritty mix that many people use is one part pine/fir bark, one part Turface, and one part granite grit, but there are many variations that will work if you have different needs, or have trouble locating certain ingredients.

-Chris

• Susan560
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I shouldn't be using standard potting mix at all? Like I said, lots of conflicting opinions on internet. Mostly I've read 1 part potting mix, 1 part builder's sand and 1 part perlite (or a variation). I assume they don't live on the coast or keep cactus outside. Thanks so much for answering.

• Susan560
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I need to ask a couple more questions. If I use the mix with no potting mix, there would be no need for rocks on the top or bottom of the pot, right? And if I repot the cactus that seem to be rotting, will they be alright? Also, the most silly question, do I need to repot ALL my cactus and succulents? As I said, I have lots and most are fine, for now anyway.

I'm curious as to why do people put rocks on the top of the soil?

• penfold2
    9 years ago

"So I shouldn't be using standard potting mix at all? Like I said, lots of conflicting opinions on internet. Mostly I've read 1 part potting mix, 1 part builder's sand and 1 part perlite (or a variation)."

Adding perlite to potting soil is often suggested because it's an easy solution, and it's better than using straight potting soil. But it's not a gritty mix, and it still suffers from a perched water table. You could try doing a 50/50 mix of perlite and potting soil, leaving out the sand, but if you're going to go to the effort of repotting your plants, you should at least consider using a more ideal mix. "If I use the mix with no potting mix, there would be no need for rocks on the top or bottom of the pot, right?"

There's never a need for rocks on the top or bottom of a pot. Rocks on the bottom are used by some people to improve drainage, but this is a myth. A rock layer has no affect on drainage. Rocks on top are often used as a top dressing for aesthetic appeal, but are not necessary. "And if I repot the cactus that seem to be rotting, will they be alright?"

That depends on how far gone they are. If a cactus begins to rot from the inside out, there's not much you can do. If it's just a bit of surface damage, it may pull through. But leaving it in a water logged soil is the worst thing you can do, so repotting is a good idea. "Also, the most silly question, do I need to repot ALL my cactus and succulents? As I said, I have lots and most are fine, for now anyway."

Of course it's up to you how to proceed. Repotting a large collection can be a lot of work. And you may find that your new mix needs a little tweaking if it dries out too quickly or too slowly. I'd start by repotting the plants that are looking bad. See how you like the mix, and then consider repotting the rest.

-Chris

• savant
    9 years ago

Those are good answers by penfold and I could also add that builders sand is the worst sand of all because it clogs too easily. If you do use any sand make sure it's Sharp sand or Silver sand.

• penfold2
    9 years ago

Sand of any kind is really not a good thing to use in a potting mix. All it does is fill pore spaces. Unless it's extremely coarse sand, which would be more accurately described as gravel.

-Chris

• Susan560
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I really thought I was doing good with my mix after all my reading. Now I just have to do the work and figure out what to do with all the sand and rocks I bought.

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Yet another very informative thread about soil, definitely have some better idea for my next repotting job now. I just have to finish using that bag of cactus soil, before I change it to gritty mix, also I need to get my hands on all the ingredients needed anyway. Is repotting every year too often? Also, is fir bark the same or interchangeable as orchid bark?

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 0:54

• penfold2
    9 years ago

"Is repotting every year too often?"

It all depends on the plant. Some will benefit from yearly repotting, while some do very well when left in the same pot for several years. One of the advantages of a gritty mix, though, is it's ability to last several years without losing its porosity. "Also, is fir bark the same or interchangeable as orchid bark?"

Most orchid bark is fir bark, but there is some pine sold as orchid bark as well. Pine and fir bark have a slightly different shape, but can be used interchangeably.

-Chris

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If you would like to gain even more understanding, read about Crassulacean Acid Metabolism, which is one factor in how some plants (not just Crassulacea) in arid environments survive. It's not just the root systems that are affected by high humidity.

Here is a link that might be useful: CAM explained at wikipedia

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

If one uses 50 - 75 % perlite with your potting soil, One will want to use rocks on top to weight the perlite down so it does not flow out of the pot when you water it. it acts to HOLD the soil. In hot climates , Some believe that it acts to insulate the soil from the sun. IT helps slow down the evaporation rate that is unbelievably ferocious in the sun in Texas.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

I don't know if it has been mentioned that using a gritty mix will require more frequent watering. I agree that a gritty mix works well with succulents, but with other plants there are other options that can work successfully as well.

Christopher

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting