Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aldeberan_gw

Outdoor Gritty Mix Watering

Aldeberan
9 years ago

I've tried to find info on this but haven't been able to for C&S - I know they're different from fruit trees! :)

I live in St Louis. It is quite warm here - highs this week in the upper 90s, lows in the 70s. It is also quite humid with the dew point also in the 70s. We're seeing triple digit heat indexes.

This is my first summer putting houseplants outside and I also switched them to gritty mix.

How much water? How often? I can water my crassulas in the morning and the mix is dry through the terra cotta pot by mid afternoon. I know these guys don't want to be watered too often, but given the heat, for optimal growth should I leave them so dry in the gritty? Should I just wait until the leaves wrinkle? I've been watering every 5-7 days but it was cooler, only in the low 90s. I suppose they were doing fine then too, but would they be doing better with more water? (or even less?)

I'm currently unemployed. Makes it easy to worry about things ;) It's neat to watch new growth coming in - I check them out every day

If it matters, they're shaded in the morning, dappled sun for a couple hours around noon, maybe 2 hours direct sun, then back to dappled and shaded.

I water with Foliage Pro every other time (1tsp/gal), but the leaves are very pale green almost yellow on one of my Jades. The others are nice dark green with red tints.

Comments (6)

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Hey there,

I too have most of jades/succulents in the gritty mix outdoors but I am down here in Central Florida where heat/sun and humidity can be unbearable (even for my plants).

First off, the crassula plants are mostly winter growers from my experience (at least here in FL). I had issues with my succulents burning in our summer due to the intense heat. I currently have mine in a covered patio under a LED 135W grow light. My day time temps even under shade are constantly 90-92 degrees. You can consider most my collection dormant this time of year. The problem with succulents being dormant is they dont require as much water/fertilizer. I also use foliage pro and i water 1/4 tsp per gallon every watering with an occasional flush every 4-6 weeks (no fert). Even though, I'm under LED grow lights right now, I'm watering most of them every 5-7 days. If you are out in full sun and NOT getting burn damage, I would water every 2-3 days. Under that full sun, i would not wait until leaves begin to wrinkle as you could cause damage to the plants.

I'm guessing you will see more vigorous growth in your spring/fall season as temps cool slightly into the high 70s to lower/mid 80s. At this time, i would increase your fertilization and go from there.

Depending on the type of crassulas you have, the yellowing can be due to the full sun. However, I've seen overwatering result in yellowing and dropping of leaves as well.

Can you post some pics for us?

• Calzoner
    9 years ago

Remember to keep the plants in as full of sun as they can tolerate without burn damage as the days get shorter/cooler for you. Now would be the only time to protect them from full sun if needed (depending on climate).

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I've aslo seen Jades turn yellow from a lack of watering and root rot....Yes, if you leaves the plants to dry out to often and too much, the roots will die and then rot in any moist mix..

I use a hose on shower and thoroughly soak them every other day or so, when they look dry..

MIke

• Aldeberan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Calzoner and Mike. It rained pretty hard yesterday evening and the mix and clay pots are still wet this morning. I suspect I have not been watering enough/thoroughly. The water runs out so quickly and I'm used to watering/flushing peat-based soils.

They're in the most sun I can give them - the downside of living in an older neighbourhood and backing out onto a ravine... lots of big trees :) They provide a lot of shade though. So they sit next to a rock garden facing south. I keep whacking back morning glories so they don't take over my pots.

I will try to post pics of my other crassulas once I can get pics of them.

{{gwi:605214}}

This one shows how pale the leaves are. The front jade seems pretty happy. Darker leaves.
    {{gwi:605216}}

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

The ones you posted are the hardest o keep full of leaves if you leave them on the drier side..

Don't be afraid when they look dry and don't treat them like jades..You can't be lazy watering these or you will continually loose leaves..

Mike

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Are the ones in pic P. afras ?