Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccactuslady

ID and help on potting

nccactuslady
10 years ago

Can someone please ID this plant for me and give me info on how to root and repot it? It has no roots at all. Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Aloe variegata. I don't grow it, but I can give you information to root it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootin' Around

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It could also be Aloe dintera.I do grow both. There is a white keel in the center of the under side of the aloe variegata. The Aloe dintera is founded in form on the under side and the variegata has a more triangular form. Aloe variegata is shorter leafed and the dintera is longer. That said, there is a lot of variability in these aloes so they could be a mis . Aloe vareigata has a huge natural range in South Africa and there is natural variability. There are a few aloes that are similar in appearance.

The hardiness rating on them is different. I think A. dinteri is hardy to 25 and Aloe variegata is hardy to 19 if given perfect drainage.

I would put it in a gritty mix and mist it on occasion and it might take a couple of months or more. Aloes can be slow about it. This one will loose its roots because of rot especially after it has bloomed. I keep it dry during the bridge from spring to summer.
    Here are some photos of it . The first two are Aloe variegata. showing the central rib and the second showing that it is apparent in the small aloe. The second two are Aloe dinteri , I THINK. they called them partridge breast aloe. when I bought them. Aloe dinteri is called Nambibian Partridge Breast. I sure hope ythe info I have is correct because it is what I have construed by my observation and IDing by googling.

Aloe variegata
    {{gwi:605820}}

{{gwi:605821}}

Aloe dinteri showing the back round leaf

{{gwi:605822}}

{{gwi:605823}}

10 years ago

To my aged eyes, the plant's ID is irrefutable. Plus, what are the chances of the OP having the A. d.? It's a rare plant offering, but A. v. isn't. Nevertheless, those are some nicely grown plants, Mara.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

This last year I have been seeing lots of A. dinteri in Texas and big ones too. It could be a hybrid. because the big ones don't really look like classic dinteri. Without seeing the backs of these leaves., I am in doubt because of the length and thinness of the leaves. A classic Variegata is pretty stout, and the leaves tuck into nicely the leaves below. I guess etiolation could screw with that relationship.

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hopefully this will show the back of the leaves somewhat... and thanks for the tips already given.
    Nancy

10 years ago

Nancy,

You're half-way there to rooting it. I think you'd have it rooted in a month given good rooting conditions and ambient warmth. I think I see tons of keel there.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

That answers the mystery. Jeff is right. It id a thin leafed possibly etiolated A. variegata. I have seen tons of "A variegata" being sold that did not have that white central keel on the back.

Just for confusion sake, Check out Aloe sladeniana,another Aloe variegata look alike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Institute for aloe studies

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the help!! I never knew there were so many varieties of Aloe
    Nancy

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Poohie, It didn't take you to the photo that I wanted you to see.This site does not have all of them but it is a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe sladenana

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Damn , it still didn't go to the photo. You will have to look for it yourself on the site. I give up.

10 years ago

Nancy,

I think there are more than 300 species and varieties, then the hybrids, both inter- and intragenetic, which likely nearly almost always doubles it.