Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Came back from vacation, a few surprises!

Posted by DavidL.ca none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 10:00

I know these plants can take even longer neglecting, but I went on a week-and-a-half trip and was worried about my plants a bit, came home to feel quite relieved and found a few surprises, thought I'd share!

First the flowers! The Senecio kleiniiformis finally opened its buds, slowly but steadily! The stalk is now super long and I have to adjust it to help it to stay in position every other day..

The bud for unknown Stapelia grown a whole lot for just a week! It went from this:

To this:

Key Lime pie is also taking its time on the flower, but it definitely moved a bit this week...

Anacampseros seeds! The flower bud dried up and look what's inside :D

No idea what to do with these, maybe I'll ebay them haha, but there's not that many

Some nice growths on my propagation window too:

The leaves used for propagation are starting to shrivel away

The crazy etiolated Echie that I chopped are having some new growth everywhere.. but I don't know where this will go @@

Last but not least, also received my year-old Lithops seedlings and potted them up. They're definitely much tinier than I thought! I think it's okay for these to stay in one pot for now when they're young.

Can you spot them? ;)

So yeah, I'm glad all of them seemed to endure it pretty well. I had timer set for my grow lights and fan to run in the morning and towards the end of night.

Wonder how they would do if the vacation was a month or two though...!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Came back from vacation, a few surprises!

That was a nice surprise--they look very happy. That's the beauty of most succulents, they don't mind a little neglect.

Water (for my veggie garden), light and fan timers really help, though.

Love your little lithops!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 10:58

Maybe you need to take more vacations! :^)

o

@notolover Yup I'm definitely learning that they like you to ignore them, but sometimes it's just so hard to resist xD. And lights and fan timers definitely help because my window isn't the brightest. Thanks!

@hoovb Haha I wish!

o

Those all look good,i've got several things now in different stages of blooming.Exciting isn't it?? Tfs
kathi

o

Yes! I didn't think my plants would bloom at all this year, so it was exciting enough to see them spitting out the flower stalks, and now they're actually giving me flowers. I cheated a bit of course sometimes, for the Stapelia I chose one that had a little bud already xD

o

I love those kind of surprises! I worry about my plants when I'm gone too.

o

For sure! But they're so much tougher than you think, haha. This bud is going wild, before I thought it could be S. gigantea, but from the hint of red I'm thinking it might be one of the red variants. Stapelia hirsuta or paniculata?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here