Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coral aloe

Posted by txcactus 7b Dallas/Fort Worth (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 10:23

My coral aloe's leaves (arms?) are pointing downward. How is the best way to care for this plant? I've had it several years and the top looks healthy.Thanks in advance.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coral aloe

As Aloes grow new leaves, they shed the lower ones - your Aloe striata hybrid is doing that very thing. All conditions normal, full speed ahead.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 0:57

I'd water it a little more and fertilize a little more (not in winter!). Not a lot more, but a little more. Leaves are kind of on the narrow side, color is a little pale. Looks a little hungry and thirsty to me.

o

What does your soil look like. The plant , might want a fatter pot, not necessarily deeper. Those pots look a bit narrow for aloes, or that is my take. Aloes like to develop a good root ball and spread their toots out a bit. Forcing the roots down with a narrow pot might force them down to where the soil doesn't drain its water fast enough and then, maybe get rot. I could be wrong. just a theory.

o

What does your soil look like. The plant , might want a fatter pot, not necessarily deeper. Those pots look a bit narrow for aloes, or that is my take. Aloes like to develop a good root ball and spread their toots out a bit. Forcing the roots down with a narrow pot might force them down to where the soil doesn't drain its water fast enough and then, maybe get rot. I could be wrong. just a theory.

o

• Posted by txcactus 7b Dallas/Fort Worth (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 8:10

Thanks all! The potting mix I use is one that is free draining (for cacti) so maybe I should add some bark next time? I will definitely repot but in a plastic pot. I am trying to phase out my clay pots. Even though I water daily, it is so hot and dry here it's not enough and the clay just makes it worse.

o

I find that the clay is cooler I read on another forum where they yook ground temperature readings and the clay was cooler Black plastic was the worse By about 10- 20 degrees. This was true for pots in the sun. In the shade they were the same. The experimemnt was done in Tyler , Texas.

o

Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 9:23

Thanks for the post on clay pots being cooler. I did not know that and never would have guessed! The coral aloe stays in the shade most of the day because it sunburns. I do have some agaves in full sun in clay so I will just leave them in the clay. Good information!

o

I keep my coral aloes in half day sun (til 2) and they are not as long leafed and floppy. The first one is still showing some of it's winter color in the shot. I like the colors of a little sunburn. Being a redhead, I relate.

Untitled

DSC_0123

o

Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:24

Wow, yours are gorgeous!!! Mine are going to get a little sun from now on.

o

They take full sun here. Here is pic of different forms that I intended to post several weeks ago, but never got around to doing so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here