Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

over grown cactus bowl garden new/refresh

mushibu10
9 years ago

hello,

so last week I was given this cactus garden from a lovely woman that is unable to sort/care for it. it is around 10-20 years old she said they was tiny plants when planted.

the only labels in the bowl was, echinocereus rubispinus, echinocactus grusonii, and stenocereus marginatus. so the central in is the grusonii (golden barrel. but it doesn't look like it at all!!!) there is a small micro opuntia. and a euphorbia (it leaks white sap.) and another larger one.

so the Mexican fence one I was going to cut the tallest one down and re-root. the euphorbia was going to leave I love it as it is. the mini opuntia I was going to take out and swap with the stapelia variegata I have. and the other tall one I was thinking of cutting down rooting and replanting and leaving the barrel as it is. is there any advice on what to do?

the rubispinus it looks nothing like the images online. it also very floppy like a wilting plant. my first thought is its not had enough light as it's been in a fairly dark room. but it could also be a lack of water but I have read it's rot prone more than usual. any thoughts?

any help ypu can give is very welcome.
any sites on how to create a natural looking one or something.

the soil I will be using is john Innes no2 with perlite/grit. I don't think there is any drainage holes in the bowl. should I drill some? (pot is terracotta)

I'll upload images of each plant in due course.

thank ypu once again.

leo

Comments (7)