Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana_p_gw

Plant identification help needed

Dana_P
9 years ago

I am new to this forum and any help would be appreciated. I have a few "rescue" plants that I need help identifying. I hope I am inserting the pictures properly...

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

This post was edited by Dana_P on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 15:46

Comments (8)

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the second one....

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Cylindropuntia species (maybe imbricate?); Euphorbia sp. (maybe 'Twinkle Twirl') or some Euphorbia polygona hybrid.

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Izrddr!

The first one is indeed a Cylindropuntia spp, I believe "Mini Cholla."

I'll definitely research the second one based on what you provided.

Thank you!

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

I believe the 2nd is Euphorbia anoplia, but growing strangely...perhaps because of its most recent conditions(?).

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, rosemariero!

After researching this, it seems she wasn't getting enough light before I rescued her. I've had her for about 2 months now. She's in 8+ hours of full sun daily and there's plenty of babies coming out of the soil. She must be happy, at least.

This post was edited by Dana_P on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 22:06

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

The back one is very etoliated, it's not happy at all

Ribs are a bit deep and very prominate, with head neck shapes on the top means to me they had gotten to wet then allowed to get to hot in a less than desiable breeze to quickly after watering. All indications of heat stress this can be addresed but can aslo take a couple seasons.
    Etoliation in the rear: I'd toss it now it's not happy at all and never will be happy

You'll want to protect them pups or self seed started little guys from any strong sun remaining this season and If me I'd aim for the cooler sun set side for the first two or three months of transitioning next season before the I will melt them by late May south bench area of mine

Looking at the bright side nobody brings these in for best of show either

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

Dana, glad to see you figured it out before I had a chance to come back. :)

Good information by nomen nudum. Just a note on spelling if you're going to look it up for more info, it's etiolated/etiolation.

• Dana_P
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both!

nomen_nudum, that one in the back, despite its current sorry state, actually has pups growing. I hate to throw it out when there are pretty pups beside it. But if you don't think it will ever be happy, I will close my eyes and toss it out. :-)