Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

'Hummel's Sunset' Jade re-potting

Good morning, folks!

Here's the third Jade that I've re-potted in the past two weeks (link to other re-pottings below). This poor plant just hasn't been able to catch a break. I bought it over the winter, and it was infested with earwigs (or something like that). Then, this June, it was over-watered due to a heavy storm that rolled through when I wasn't at home. The Jade dropped most of its leaves. Finally, it began to grow new leaves. I was babying it, fearful that the raccoons might abuse it at night - as they had several other plants, Jades included.

So, just when things were looking up for this Jade, my danged cat knocked the plant off the deck. It fell about twelve feet, but took surprisingly little damage. In fact, the Jade landed on the branch that I intended to prune away! And the plastic pot split....so I took these as signs that I should re-pot the Jade.

The pictures are dark, but they should be sufficient to give the idea. Here's the Jade, after the fall - in the old pot. The branch to be pruned is on the bottom left, just above the soil-line.

{{gwi:606961}}

And here's the root-ball with old soil.

{{gwi:606963}}

Now the root-ball with most of the old soil removed (note: the old soil had a good percentage of pumice and perlite, which is probably the reason that this Jade survived at all).

{{gwi:480117}}

Here's a handful of the potting medium that I will use.

As Al (Tapla) says, a fast-draining mix is one that will still fall apart if squeezed when wet. My ingredients are fir bark: perlite: pumice: quartz gravel.

{{gwi:50873}}

This is the branch that broke the Jade's fall. I had intended to prune this branch - and then root it - but it took too much damage. Alas.

{{gwi:606968}}

And the final pic of the Jade in a new terra cotta pot.

I waited a few days before watering this container because I tore off masses of roots and exposed a lot of tissue.

{{gwi:606971}}

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Jade cutting - re-pot (pics)

Comment (1)

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I think it looks SO much better in it's new pot.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations