Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Added a Epidendrum Orchid to the garden :

hijole
9 years ago

Epidendrum also known as poor man's Orchid is the orange flower here, I really like this plant because it adds alot of color to the garden, interesting thing is at the beach, coastal areas these blooms are 2X's the size or greater.

Been noticing it's been starting to get dark @ 7:45 pm and thinking, summer 2014 is about to be history.

Greg Greg

Comments (18)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Beautiful Greg!!! Our sunset is at 8:17pm (though you wouldn't guess it by ALL the rain clouds! Yesterday we had a NASTY storm come through at around 3:30pm it was BLACK outside!! Me and my plants would LOVE the sun to come back lol!! Hope you're having a good day Greg!
    -Christy

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Christy, the day is going great, the sun is beaming I'm about to go outside to play in the garden & I'm alive! hey life is good :)
    Hope your day is going well too, I actually wish I was getting some of that rain over here Christy, but hey I can wait a little longer I guess... I still a lil bit of water in my rain Barrel :/ lol. ..

Let it rain Lord, let it rain on me :)

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Maybe you should try an Indian rain dance! Lol it worked for them! I will try my hardest to send it your way! Lol

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rain dance, ok start LilBit! You go first and let me know if it works Cuz Ima bout to start shaking a leg :)

Is it working?

Well in the mean time let me show you the sun beaming down on my patio. My plants love soaking up the morning sun ray's and then around noon they take a nap in the shade and by evening they get a little more sunshine & bright light.

Just to let you know there are zero clouds at my house so can you pick up the pace dear :)

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LilBit, I'm serious no clouds yet.
    Lol... what kinda music are you playing?

That grey in the horizon is smog.

Greg

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Lol!!! Guess ill have to shake a little harder!! Lol hopefully it will be there soon!! (Maybe I'm not doing it right lol! This girls got NO rut him!! Lol)

• nil13
    9 years ago

I love epidendrums. I just picked up a hybrid that maxs out at 18". I think it will be easier to find a pot for that than the full sized one. Lol

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

NIce! I love the pic with the community of plants. They look very happy.
    Epidendrums are really a neet orchid. Super hardy and colorful. I see you got one in.....orange! I wonder why?
    Did you get large one or has it been growing in your yard for awhile?

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nil 13, now that's something I'd love to see, can you possibly post a picture of it.

LilBit, omg ... just what are you doing, so far I'm sorry to say it's only gotten hotter over here so whatever you're doing a Stop!
    It reached the 100's today and it had been cooling off.

Lol ... just kidding of course but it did get up into triple digits today :/ I had to take a long break today whew...

Azteqen, thanks I've actually had this one for a while but it just started blooming more this year, I had to invest in some soil amendments to get her to act right ( lil humor)ð¡
    yeah I've seen others colors they all look nice with brilliant colors. I have heard they grew like weeds but that hasn't been true for me.
    I did start from a plant cutting which at first I thought it was a succulent of some type, then later i purchased a 3 gal.potted plant and there she is.
    Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 2:16

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Very nice Greg,i recently cut some of mine back.I have red,orange yellow and a small piece of lavendar,that i'm trying to grow into a bigger plant.For some reason it seems slower growing than the other colors.Do you know if it comes in white?? I know i could look it up,but it's faster to ask,some of mine are 6' tall.

I see your propeller plant is blooming now also,as is mine.I tried to post some pictures but PB is being a PIA tonight.
    Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy, I do believe I've seen them in white before , the lavender one is the one I'd like to have too, I like the orange & the lavender colors the best.
    I've heard these epidendrums will grow wild but so far mine haven't got crazy yet ( I wish.) I've had to kinda baby mine as a matter of fact. O well you know I enjoy it, I'm not complaining ð¢ lol. ..

I love my new phone and all the little gadgets ðÂÂÂ

Yeah my propeller plants have taken off, they add so much color to the garden don't they .

Hope you have a great weekend, Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Yes i love the propeller plant,i've given several cuttings away this year,everyone that sees it falls in love with it even when it's not in bloom,that grey color just adds a special touch to the gardens.

Lets see if PB will cooperate so i can show you the epidendrums.
    {{gwi:607105}}

{{gwi:497998}}

{{gwi:607108}}

{{gwi:607110}}

{{gwi:607112}}

I like this picture,i guess the birds or the wind planted the lobelia in there but i like it,so left it.
    {{gwi:519880}}

That's all pb will let me share,it's taking forever for it to change the pages,life is too short for that.

Enjoy the view!
    Kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, wow woW! Kathy, that's are fabulouS. They look so colorful together, now I have to get some other colors for sure. And that royal blue picture with the white flower is stunning! I really like that look.

Have a great weekend Kathy,

Greg

• James _J
    9 years ago

Hey Greg,

What's the name of the tall blueish cactus in the 4th picture? I bought one yesterday and the guy told me the name was blue myrtle, but that doesn't seem right to me.

After my trip to San Diego I had to go out and by some more succulents. I'm going to need a shoe horn to fit everything inside come fall.

Thanks

• hijole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lumpy, that is hilarious ð and I think everyone here can relate to your dilemma. at least I can. The shoe Horn really hit me good, I read an article about roof top gardens and thought to myself, I wonder... ���"
    I look at a shovel now and see a shoe horn lol. .

Any way, the name of that cactus is I'm not sure if you can read it from the picture or not

. ( by the way that picture is from Debra Lee Baldwins book Succulent Container Gardens.
    I hope that is ok to mention this here.

So I'll write it here.
    It reads, Colummar Pilosocereus Pachyclafus pg.31

Although I've read some type of cereus cactus. They are a very attractive cactus and always demand my attention no matter how many times I've seen them.
    Hey I bet they'd even look nice on the roof ð at my house.
    Have a fabulous weekend Lumpy.

Greg

• James _J
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. here is what I picked up over the past few days.

{{gwi:607114}}

{{gwi:607116}}

My roof will be covered in snow in a few months so that wont be an option for me.

Have you tried Dendrobium Kingianum orchids, they should be hardy for you and come in lavender.

• nil13
    9 years ago

Here's the little hybrid.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Greg,once that lavendar epidendrum takes off i'd be more than happy to share some with you,that's what gardeners do,also any of the other colors i have that you may want.Just let me know.
    You can email me at
    kathi1517ATgmailDOTcom
    Kathi

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County