Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuxx

Cardon (Pachycereus pringlei) Damaged In Winter - Growth Question

nuxx
9 years ago

Good morning,

Last winter while we were on vacation a hard cold spell hit and our Cardon was not covered. It showed bad signs of burn and the top started to close up.

We left the cactus in place and covered it during any other cold nights.

Now the cactus has a new growth on it.

How do you think this will end up growing out?

Will it be a new top, or continue to branch out and up?

What it looks like now:

{{gwi:607540}}

Right after it was hit by cold weather:

{{gwi:607543}}

Also BTW: I don't know much about this below cactus... but it's growing like a weed.

My question is... is the bottom coloration (brown/yellow) of this cactus normal? Maybe too much / too little water? We don't water our cactus, just gets rain.

{{gwi:607544}}

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

All looks well. The Pachy must taken some deep cold. Mid 20's don't seem to phase them. But,that one looks like it was growing robustly before.
    The lower cacti..some kind of Opuntia "Cows Tongue". Getting woody near the base is normal.

• nuxx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

What do you think will happen with the top of the Cardon?

I think the problem was that it was newly planted (3-4 months) and it was a freak rain/freeze event for us.

9 years ago

It will shrivel up,then fall off leaving a clean scar. As the new shoot grows it will be the new crown.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

These are not that cold hardy... I have tried several species of Pachycereus and these iones only tolerate high to MAYBE mid 20s... lower than that and the tops die... takes 1-2 years sometimes to get a new growth like you did there... the part above will continue to shrivel and die, and if you're lucky, no fungus will start to grow there next winter... otherwise beheading while it's still warm, at a sharp angle (to prevent future rains from sitting and rotting the flat top) and letting it callus well before winter comes along is my best suggestion.

• nuxx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much guys :)

I'm a little nervous about cutting the top off. Is there anything to put on the open wound to help it scar quicker?

If I don't cut it, how long should it take to fall off?

Is the consensus to cut or not to cut?

On below freezing nights we cover the cacti with multiple soft blankets then put a frost sheet on top of that.

Also added some smaller old type Christmas lights wrapped below the first layer. When we take off the blankets, they are nice and toasty, even after a hard freeze.

These two Giant Saguaros (~ 6' and 2' Double) did great in the same area over the winter. The Double showed a little burn from the time the Cardon got hurt and was uncovered, but looks 100% now.

{{gwi:607545}}

{{gwi:607546}}

BTW: This is a "large" Cardon (Which I tried to buy, since it's about to hit the roof, and they've had other cacti break) has been downtown uncovered for years. No burn???

{{gwi:607547}}

9 years ago

Either that's a Goth bistro or the pic was around Holloween.

All they need to do is prune it about halfway down..it will then slowly regrow multiple arms. Or..the top will naturally expire and it will then sprout new arms...but where -hi or low,is hard to say.
    I think they turned down your offer because it would be hard to remove without bothering the big barrel cacti. At the least you could advise them on pruning them while the summer is still on...and you would gladly "adopt" the top 4-5' piece.

• nuxx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahah no, it's just a normal bar ;)

If I was to cut my Cardon, would I need to cut into the healthy tissue?

I'm a little nervous and feel bad about cutting, kind of would like it to naturally heal.

Do you think chances are it'll heal itself and the top will just fall off?

How long do you think it should take to fall off?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths