Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Senecio citriformis has buds

Hope they'll continue into flowers! Any predictions how long it will take? Noticed them about a week ago when they were much shorter. Does anyone have a pic of the flowers already blooming?

Comments (9)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sorry to say I don't know how long till they will open, P.
    When they do, take a whiff. Not sure if all have a fragrance, but if it does, it should be a nice one! =)

Not my photo, but see link below for a pic of a bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:607986}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, that's sooo cute! Thanks! You're right, I've missed getting pics of several of these cute new little plants' flowers because I didn't know it was 'now or never' when I saw them. Especially one on a plant that looks like a green rock. It made a little pink daisy I saw once. There haven't been many blooms of any kind since the sun went away last month. Sheesh!

Thanks for the reminder! Check often, have camera ready, start humming Elvis when you buds, to stay ready.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

purple

it looks similar to plant I have, ID-ed as senecio herreianus or string of pearls. It bloomed recently, just one bloom that lasted approx. 5days.
    Rina

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a fantastic looking plant and bloom, Rina! Did you sniff it? Thanks for sharing it, and the info.

What kind of light does your pretty plant get? I try to keep the one I showed in the sun out from under the porch roof as much as possible but it's been a lot of shifting, several times a day some days, to avoid rains. Hope I continue to put it where it will be happy enough to finish making the flower(s.) There is sun this morning, cool.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

purple

I didn't even think that bloom could be fragrant, so no...

It is sitting outside under very wide overhang (it's almost 4feet), so it doesn't get rained on. I have to water all plants there (right now 17 succulents). They all get full sun from about 1:30-5:30pm.
    Rina

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Two nice plants, ladies - thanks for reminding me I need one or five in my collection.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, you do need at least that many! Great ground cover for a jade.

Well, I found a tiny caterpillar munching on one stem, but the one has completed its' mission. Sadly, no scent, yet anyway.

{{gwi:607995}}

{{gwi:70131}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

So... if anyone's interested, army worms eat Senecio. That's what munched the flower stalk pictured above. Found another incidence, same caterpillar, this one big enough to ID. I saw caterpillar turds on S. kleiniformis and found two of them, eating the flower buds forming on one of the tips. Apparently this is the time for them to hatch around here, one might want to inspect their outdoor Senecios. The two I found had made a good looking plant look pretty crappy overnight.

Edited to add forgotten pic of the guilty party.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 13:57

• senjanevada
    10 years ago

Ladies, love your Senecio Strings of Pearls and Strings of Tears. I have Strings of Banana only, want to swap some cuttings?

Thx.

This post was edited by senjanevada on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 1:21