Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccactuslady

repotting Christmas cacti

nccactuslady
10 years ago

Now that I have the aloe repotted to root I am working on my Christmas cactus. I have been using a mixture of potting soil, an orchid mixture and "chicken" grit. Is there anything I should add or do differently?
Nancy

Comments (22)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

I don't think the orchid mixture would serve your Aloe well, but with tropical cactus it's just fine. I'd go with just the screened potting soil and grit for your Aloe. But to answer your question in this post, I can't (and shouldn't, since I don't and have never grown them).

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just used potting soil and grit for the aloe. I was asking about the mix for christmas cacti.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

For the Holiday Cacti, I would use mostly Orchid Mix, then a small amount of chicken grit, and just a pinch of potting mix to help "bind" the other ingredients. The mix should be durable, should dry quickly, and should allow you to water thoroughly without fear of root-rot.

Josh

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Josh... that is the mix I'm using. I was just curious if I needed to add something else. Do you fertilize your holiday cacti?
    Nancy

10 years ago

I sure do. I fertilize 1/4 strength at least once a month, but I advise more regular fertilizing for full growth potential. 1/4 once a week would be excellent during the growing season.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy...That mix that Josh suggested is what I used for my CC as well, I fertilize mine once a week (spring through mid fall) and usually by mid November our weather starts to cool off...I live in FL so I have a much longer growing season,lol...

I use a little more fertilizer as well about 1/3 to 1/2 strength when I see new growths...and cut back when our weather cools down.

Good luck!

Hi Josh and Jeff!

10 years ago

Howdy, Nancy! :-)

Josh

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Puglvr... is your name Nancy too? If so I will start signing my name as Nancy B so there won't be any confusion. BTW.. what kind of fertilizer do you use on your holiday cacti?
    Nancy B

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Yes Nancy...we have the same name :o)

I use the same one as Josh I believe...Dyna Grow Foliage Pro 9-3-6. I have also used Miracle Grow all purpose fertilizer as well before I purchased the DG with good results at 1/3 the dosage...

• haxuan
    10 years ago

Hi Josh and Nancy

You mentioned using "orchid mix + chicken grit + small amount of potting soil" for potting CC.

Please educate me...is orchid mix not the same as orchid bark? Can you get this mix in Home Depot or you have to make them?

Thanks for your info.

Xuan

• nccactuslady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I get the orchid mix at the local Lowes... it's a mixture of charcoal, small rocks, bark and a tad of soil
    Nancy B

• haxuan
    10 years ago

Thank you Nancy B

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Xuan, Yes, Nancy B is right...I've seen them at Walmart and HD has it also.

You can also use the "seedling" Orchid Bark as well...it doesn't have the other ingredients that the Orchid Mix has. Down side is I believe they only come in very large bags...

A friend who grows Orchids gave me a small bag to try...
    Here's what it looks like...

10 years ago

Hello, ladies! :-)
    Pug, that bark is beautiful in size and texture!

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

It is definitely the best I've ever seen and tried Josh!! I'll have to see if I can get some from the same vendor she gets it from? I'm hoping to split a bag with her :o)

• monet_g
    10 years ago

Orchid suppliers carry some of the best potting medium ingredients including some very nice bark! The problem is the shipping costs. However, in the Fall (and Spring) many travel to local Orchid shows and will bring your order so you can save on the shipping. Just a thought.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Monet, I couldn't agree with you more! I try to avoid shipping whenever possible lol... Luckily, she goes to an Orchid show at least 2-3 times a year, :o) hoping to split an order with her and save on the outrageous shipping costs...

• andy_e
    10 years ago

Is there some problem you've had before that the orchid mix is intended to solve?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello Nancy, Xuan, and Josh and all!!!

Nancy, if that Orhciada Bark or Fir Bark? I love it!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:03

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Mike!! I have NO idea,lol...she gave me a small bag in a plastic bag and didn't know the exact brand ( I guess she got it from another orchid grower. I'll try and see if I can get a name when I see her in a few weeks...

Andy, NO problems or issues. Pine or Fir bark is something I use in my potting mix but the small size like the one I posted above have always been extremely hard for me to find locally...till I came across this lady that grows Orchids :o)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Walmart - chopped very, very fine - $2.68 a bag - use it for everything

{{gwi:440844}}

{{gwi:440842}}

• monet_g
    10 years ago

The Walmart bark is probably starting to break down which can be a good thing. It can more readily add nutrients to the soil, but will hold more water. I found a similar product at a high end nursery and paid ~$7.00! I need to check Walmart. Thank you!

Gail

This post was edited by monet_g on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 10:24

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner