Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel7576

I'm Sure I'm Doing Everything WRONG!

I've started a succulent collection. But rather than merely collect individual items, I want to group them together. Unfortunately, I think I'm putting the wrong plants together. Maybe you folks can help. Some plants (the earlier additions) have NOIDs. I threw them together in a pot. I took commercial cactus mix and added a bunch of perlite and sand. I probably should have added more grit or pea gravel or something, but I can do that when I repot based on suggestions I get.

The pot in the picture is about a foot by half a foot, to give a scale. The only definitive IDs I have are the P. nelii, the red Gymnocalycium, and then the Sedum burrito in the top right. Also, thanks to help here, I am happy to say the glue dollop was removed successfully from the little guy at bottom left.

I guess what I'm seeking, other than help identifying, is input on what might grow well together. I feel like I might be making a mistake by putting things together without obtaining advice from you experts.

There are many more plants and pictures to follow after this one, but this can get me started.

Comments (10)

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To aid in identifying, I made a little diagram of the pot.
    I spent many hours last night looking at pictures to try to identify things myself. I confess I am too green to have any confidence, though.

5, 6, & 9 are identified.
    1 may be a kind of Echeveria? Maybe a Tylecodon?
    2 Sempervivum?
    3 a type of Haworthia?
    4 Aeonium?

I do have more close-up pictures of the individual plants, if that would be of any help.

And not to be pushy, but keep in mind that I'd love to get ideas on which members of my collection I can successfully grow together. If I can just run with what I think I like together visually, great. But I'm receptive to other concerns. It may take a while to get the whole collection up here. I have some plants that had labels, but I want to try to verify the labels first.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

In the pot there all the plants require different conditions. The more leafy plants will want more water while the cacti like it on the rather dry side. I'm not sure about the P.nelii, I think that one likes it dry also. I'm not sure though. I'm sure others will chime in to offer more advice.

Mark

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's exactly my concern, Mark. I'm pretty sure that, at a minimum, the Burro's tail & whatever is at the bottom right should not be in with the others. Perhaps the whole thing, at least the right side, is too crowded as well?

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I'd say all should be potted separately until you figure out their requirements. The 2 cactus could go together. Two Echeveria together, maybe with the Sedum. The rest in their own pots.

1. Looks most like an Echeveria (could be in intergeneric). Blooms would definitely help pin down its ID.
    2. Cactus (Mammillaria perhaps)
    3. Likely Astroloba (but could be Haworthia type)-closer pic might help
    4. Looks like Echeveria to me (if better pic, may change my mind)
    7. Rhipsalis
    8. Portulacaria afra f. variegata
    9. might be Sedum morganianum, rather than burrito (need closer view)

Once you have them identified, you can look up care for each.

• qsis
    10 years ago

I'm sure that the experts here are correct, Ariel, but for what it's worth, that WAS a pretty pot of plants!

:-)

Lee

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm attaching a closer picture of # 4 (tentative Echeveria).

I will grab a picture of the probable Echeveria if it blooms. I will also try to get close-ups of # 3, the likely Astroloba.

Thanks for all of your help. If I can manage not to kill them in the meantime, I'm getting ready to repot things.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

4. Looks most likely to be Echeveria 'Dondo'. =)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!
    This is # 3, the possible Astroloba, in a side view.
    I'll post a view from the top as well.

I should have included a visual size reference, but it is maybe 2 - 2.5 inches tall.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The view of # 3 from the top.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sorry I cannot find a match, but still believe it's an Astroloba or a hybrid, maybe with a Haworthia. This would be one to watch for flowers. Blooms could help point you in the right direction (especially if it is a hybrid).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH