Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The leaning tower of Cactus...

Posted by raed8 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 12:11

Help. I think I need to transplant this cactus, but not sure how to help it stand taller. I have a taller pot to put it in, but I don't want to kill this cactus. How do I get it to stand without a stick? Or is that even possible?

Thank you for any suggestions or advice you can give...
karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The leaning tower of Cactus...

For transplanting, since the base is rather curved and already planted at an angle, I suppose it may be best to cut off the base. You could let it callus over and start out with a good straight base.

A stick would definitely help in keeping it supported. Eventually, the base/trunk will likely get strong enough to support the entire plant.

Trying to transplant the cactus to correct the angle again would mean it would have to be planted deeper, and the pot would need a larger diameter to accommodate its base's spread. This is why I think cutting the base off may be your best option.

-Kaegen

o

I would get a bigger pot. Opuntias , unlike other cactus do like more room for theit roots. I would also cut it back and put it in a sunnier spot. It looks like it was leaning to get more sun.

o

I deal with a similar problem once a year after heavy rains cause my opuntias get top heavy and tip over. I cut off all the pads until they can stand on their own. Then after you cut them they main plant just makes more pads and strengthens to support them at the same time. The pads that are cut off can dry for a few days then get planted to make more or give them to your friends. Most opuntia can be trimmed then they just bush out after. In general every pad I cut off gets replaced by 1-4 new pads depending on species. I have over 50 species of Opuntia.

o

I aggree with Martinfisher. I cut mine back every time before a big cold front. I cut it back the more tender ones to what will fit under a blanket and a garbage bag. I too have over 50 varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here