Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kosmok_gw

Please help me save my succulent!

kosmok
9 years ago

Dear Forum,

I am afraid that my succulent is beyond saving. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to save it. Also, I am not entirely sure what kind of succulent it is. I think it's an echeveria, but as I said in the subject line I am a newbie so there is a large chance that I am mistaken.

Comments (6)

• kosmok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some more pictures.

Thanks again for all your help!

Best,

K

• kosmok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And, finally, the last picture.

Please do let me know if you'd like more pictures.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

If you can take a pic of the stem at the base that would help ALOT. How often are you watering? I'm thinking its rot. Succulents really need a fast draining soil. It looks like it's just bag soil? Can you tell me what's in it? (Your soil)

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

To be blunt, your soil is horrendous. :) Succulents like a fast draining soil, not the potting soil "regular" houseplants can live in. The cheapest and easiest way to achieve this is to buy a cactus and succulent mix and cut that with at least 50% perlite. If you can add some chicken grit (found at feed stores) to mix in (not placed at the bottom of the pot) that would be great too.

Your pot needs a drainage hole, no ifs, ands or buts.

I would cut the top of your plant off the stem, leaving an inch or two of stem, and set aside to callous for a few days. You can put it in your new mix once you've noticed the callous, or you can leave it out until you see roots, then pot it. Do not water a freshly potted plant for a few days.

I can't tell if the lower section of stem is rotting or not. If it is, I would discard it. If it isn't, the I would pot it into the new mix, but remove any crispy leaves.

Slowly, like over the course of a week, move it into stronger daylight. If you can put it outside, even better.

The stem will produce small rosettes along itself which can later be removed and potted up separately.

You have some type of echeveria; a low growing, rosette plant. Your plant has etiolated, or stretched, because it hasn't been getting enough light.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Nancy

• kosmok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Nancy,

Thanks so much for your help. I have purchased what you recommended and am now (anxiously) awaiting its arrival in the post. I will send you an update as soon as I repot my plant.

Fingers crossed that I caught it in time!

Best,

Karina

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Karina, you're welcome! :)

Nancy

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Virginia Beach