Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Rhipsalis cruciformes Care

plantomaniac08
11 years ago

I recently purchased a Rhipsalis cruciforme and would like to know it's ideal care.

1. Will it tolerate full (direct) sun or will it burn?

2. Does it tolerate drying out a little bit in between waterings or do I need to keep it consistently moist?

3. Will it tolerate 90-100 degree temperatures? (yes, it's a scorcher out here).

Any advice/information is much appreciated. I didn't have the easiest time finding clearly defined information online. Thanks.

Planto

Comments (4)

• epiphyte78
    11 years ago

1. I don't know whether it will tolerate full sun. Here in inland Southern California I grow all of mine under some overhead protection. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to discover that it can tolerate full sun. I have enough to experiment with but it's low on my list of epiphytes to test out in full sun.

2. It tolerates going completely dry between waterings. The more shade you grow it in...and/or the cooler the temperatures...the longer it can go between waterings. The ones I have potted in bark and perlite are watered perhaps every 4th night during summer and perhaps every 10th day during winter. The one mounted on my tree is in moss and gets watered every other night during summer and every 10th day during winter.

3. Mine have had no problem with those temperatures. When temps are in the high 90s though I try and water the mounted one every night and the potted stuff every 3rd night.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

epiphyte78,
    Thanks so much for the information!
    I have one more question for you:
    When "pruned," does it produce new growth from the pruned "stem" (for a lack of better words)? I found a few broken "stems" on it when purchased and I had to cut back a couple that were apparently damaged (more like squished) and I was wondering if I'll have to look at a stub forever or if it will branch out some more. Thanks so much again!

Planto

• epiphyte78
    11 years ago

Once a stem is cut...the stem itself will not continue to regrow like a cut lizard tail. Instead, there's a possibility that new stems will emerge along the cut stem. It's also possible that the plant will decide to just create an entire new stem from its base.

If there's enough plant material...one thing I highly recommend is to propagate new plants via cuttings as soon as possible. This functions like insurance...or backing up photos. If the mother plant kicks the bucket then you'll always have the backups.

Plus, by placing divisions of the same plant in different locations/conditions...you'll be able to more efficiently discover which conditions it prefers.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

epiphyte78,
    You read my mind, I was just wondering if I should take a few cuttings. How do I go about propagating the Rhipsalis? Do I just cut some of the "stems" into segments and place the segments into moist soil (after allowing them to callous)? Is there a particular portion I should cut from (a new growth segment, old growth with a new growth segment attached, etc). Is there a particular length that the cuttings should be? Also, how many to a pot is ideal (is overcrowding an issue or can I stick as many as I can in a pot)? I hope I'm not overwhelming you with questions; I find your information very helpful.

Planto