Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Tin Planters

Posted by suivezmoi 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 12:29

So I've paused with my collecting of creepy old ceramic planters, mainly because I am too worried about them not having drainage holes (will be able to borrow a drill in a few weeks).

The nursury I go to has a lot of interesting planters, the ones I have been really taken with are the beer cans ones (Lonestar of course) and using other tin/metal vessels. I ordered a few tea and coffee tins, and these two were the first ones that came in and I like how they turned out.

This was how I started (though I ended up changing plants for the green tin, thought that one might feel too crowded)
 photo 20140804_214830_LLS.jpg
The bear paws seemed like they were a good size
 photo 20140804_214915_LLS_1.jpg

Overhead view before planting. I stabbed lots of drainage holes in the bottom with a nail.
 photo 20140804_214932_LLS.jpg

photo 20140805_110949.jpg

These are two other planters I have been working on. However I think I am going to get some air plants for them. I don't think any succs would be amused by being crammed in them :P
 photo 20140804_220119_LLS_1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Tin Planters

I plant in tea tins and coffee tins that I get at yard sales, local antique shops, or just after I'm finished drinking the tea I buy cause it comes in a tin. I'll plant in anything I can drill holes in really. I like repurposing things you wouldn't usually use into planters. I also use vegetable cans and tuna cans. You can paint the outside of them and rough them up with some sandpaper and that looks really cool. I've also seen some rapped in hemp or twine that looks nice. I want to try that as well. I've seen the dinosaurs on etsy and I thought they were really cute. If you propagate, a small echeveria of some sort would fit in there for the time being. Anyway, I love your planters. Keep up the good work. :)

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 23:05

o
RE: Tea Tin Planters

I love the Stegosaurus. He's cool!

Stoney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here