Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echeveria(?) ID

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 12:45

Good morning, GardenWebbers!

I have an ID for you, and I'm sure it shouldn't prove too difficult, since this type of
"Hen and Chick" is very common (at least it is around here). Anyhow, this is a friend's
plant. He just moved from a mild weathered 1,200 foot elevation area to a cold 2,400 foot
elevation property. I keep telling him the plant is going to freeze during the winter....

Hopefully you can help us out. It looks like an Echeveria to me, but I've been wrong before!

Much appreciated!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echeveria(?) ID

Echeveria? Yes.

Species: probably Echevera imbricata

Do you have a flower pic?

o
Cold hardyness

All of my Echeveria, in pots and in the ground, survived 5 nights of temps in the mid-twenties F during the Great Freeze of 2007 without damage. I wouldn't worry too much unless temps stayed below freezing all day long.

o

Brad,

How is Josh's different from E. elegans?

Thanks,

Jeff

o
Addition on cold tolerance

San Marcos Growers notes that imbricata is one if the hardiest Echeveria, citing hardiness to 20-25F. Mine have survived lows of 25F.

o

Jeff, imbricata is much larger than elegans, and the flower colors are different. E. elegans has red flowers with yellow tips, and imbricata sports pink flowers with yellow tips. I have them beside each in the ground, and the most obvious difference without flowers is rosette size. 'Imbricata' can have 10-12 inch diameter rosettes. Poking around a bit, I see that 'Imbricata' is a cultivar, not a species. It is E. glauca X E. gibbiflora 'Mettalica'.

o
Oops, bad link

I dropped a 0 and the page went to another plant altogether. Here is Echeveria 'Imbricata' at San Marcos Growers, I hope. :-)

o

Thanks, gentlemen!

Brad, I don't have a flower pic, unfortunately.
From memory, the flowers were indeed a pinkish color with yellow tips.
E. 'Imbricata' (E. glauca x E. gibbiflora 'Mettalica') it shall be.

Now...when best to plant some these out?

Josh

o

Josh,

Now is a good time (trusting most of your hot weather has passed). Remember, in California there's no parking on the dance floor.

o

I'd thought E. elegans as well.

I'd love to see pix of the two mentioned side by side sometime pls. Para if that were possible.

I just love the form of these rosettes, their proportion, spacing btwn the leaves, so cup-like, coming to the graceful point, it's just impeccable design by nature!

o

Brad,

I'd like to see those, too, if we may.

Karen,

I agree with you about the design - the stereotypical succulent rosette pulled off perfectly.

o

Jeff,
August and September are two of our hottest months, now that the soil has been heated all summer.
The red dirt is baked hard without a hope of rain 'til November. October might be good planting.

I'm going to beg a chick for my own hen-housing...who knows, it might not totally freeze here?
We only have a few nights a year when the temps drop below 20F....

Karen, I've done a google image search to compare E. elegans and E. 'Imbricata.'
The elegans has seemingly thick, chubby leaves. The 'Imbricata' has the thinner, sharper leaves
and the perfect rosette. I'd have to say that the pic I posted matches better with 'Imbricata.'

Josh

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 15:30

It looks like imbricata more than elegans to me, but the flower will tell you for sure.

o

Indeed, pink flowers with yellow insides/tips....
I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Josh

o

And here we have it....

Photobucket

Josh

o

Now I have my own little chick rooted and growing....
So far so good, outdoors without any protection from the cold. Good thing, too, since there's no room at the Inn.

About two inches across....

Photobucket

Josh

o

Nice Josh,

Such a handsome little fellow, perfection in rosette form.

I wish I had enough sun to grow these here in NYC, but to date, my experience w/ Ech here (indoors only) is they get rather leggy.

Oh well, I'll have to love yours from afar!

o

Thanks, Karen!

The friends who gave me this cutting have taken their pots indoors for the winter,
whereas I've left this little chick outdoors. The plants at my friends' house are tall
and leggy and looking absolutely awful. I think this'll convince them to plant outside.

Josh

o

Blooming more profusely this year :-)
I attempted a few shots of the hummingbirds...but they didn't turn out.

Josh

o
RE: Echeveria ID

What a BEAUTIFUL plant, Josh! woohoo moving photo woohoo.gif

So, you never got an ID on it back in 2011? Looks like Echeveria 'Imbricata' to me.

o

Hehe, thanks Rosemarie! ;-)
Yeah, I got the ID...I just didn't want to start a new Thread...although I ought to get the previous pics fixed for posterity!

The next step will be rooting the chicks in the empty pockets to fill this strawberry pot. By next season, there's no reason we should be seeing any terra cotta at all!

My buddy brought these indoors over the Winter...they took a couple frosts that did not agree well! Now they're back up to muster.

My own cutting blew off the back deck in a storm, and I wasn't able to find where it went. So I'll be starting another soon.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here