Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isonychia

Jade plant reddish and dry

isonychia
10 years ago

In the photo I have attached, one of my jade plants does not look healthy.

It has what looks like white salt powder on the leaves and dry looking leaves. The plant also has a slight reddish/purple hue as opposed to a bright green.

Any thoughts as to what's wrong with it?

Just more watering?

Thanks,
iso

Comments (3)

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

The color is a response to sunlight and is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. The white crystals are probably salts being excreted by the plant -- inside the plant there must be a balance between water and salt, and if the plant has too little water or takes in too many minerals, this is how it rids itself of the extra salt. My jades stopped excreting the white crystals when I started watering them with distilled water and fertilizing them much less frequently.

The leaves don't look particularly dry to me, as they are plump and have not wrinkled. I think the appearance of the leaves is due to the dry salt residue on them. I would suggest switching to distilled water for watering the plants. If you mist the leaves when you water the plant, the salt that is on the leaves will dissolve and run off, helping the plant regain its shiny appearance. Don't be tempted to try to clean the leaves or apply leaf shine though, jade leaves are delicate and you could seriously damage the plant.

• isonychia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kataclysm, thanks.

I will try your suggestion. I am almost done creating the gritty mix (forgot the gypsum) and will be replanting all my jades using it. i also plan to begin fertilizing as i have never fertilized my jades or any of my plants for that matter.

One more question. Here's another photo of one other Jade.
    What are those small spots/divots on the leaves from? Some of them are more raised than indented i think.
    I read about this "Oedema". Is that what it could be?

Thanks,
    iso

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

If you can scrape the brown stuff off, it might be scale insects. In that case, you should pick off the affected leaves and throw them away (in a little baggie in the regular garbage -- don't compost scale-infested plants!) Affected stems should be swabbed with rubbing alcohol.

If you can't scrape the brown stuff off, it's probably edema from overwatering. Particularly if you've recently stepped up your watering in response to the appearance of the leaves. I have very hard water in my area and I've seen jades that had both overwatering and the white crystals. Hopefully the problem will resolve by the time you get the plant into gritty mix, so you can stave off root rot.