Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Jade Plant help please?

gardenbug
9 years ago

My Jade plant is about 2 years old. This is the second year that I've kept is outside all summer on my sunny deck. It is beautiful and green, the leaves are firm, however, I am noticing some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow and shriveling up. I thought I'd better get on this before it gets worse. I don't think I am overwatering or underwatering but you never know. My jade is still outside. The nights are getting a little cooler with moisture in the air (humid) and sunny throughout the day. Should I be bringing inside now? Do I slowly introduce it to being inside again? I would like to know what is going on with it. Thanks so much.

Comments (12)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

No inside transitioning required but you would want to provide some dry ( inside) over night to kind of streach the season.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

What are you using for soil?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help.
    (nomen it's good to hear that I don't have to transition it. I'm not sure what you mean about stretching the season. Can you please explain that to me?

Joe, I am using a gritty sand mixed with orchid bark. Drains well. It's been doing great for 2 years. I transplanted it into a pot (one size up) in April. It did great all summer. I checked the soil today and it is slightly moist about an inch or so from the top.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

What is the particle size of the sand you are using? I know that the term sand can be very subjective, so it's important to know. As for nights being cool, in zone 8, you have a ways to go yet. When nights get under 50 consistently, I'll cut back a bit on the water, because while jades can go down to 40 F, having them too moist when going that low isn't ideal. I typically bring them inside when it gets a few degrees below 50, and begin the depressing process of moving them in and out every day. This is when the sad reality of the coming winter sets in, and my jades have to wait 6 plus months until they get to bask in the sun again.

As for stretching the season, I believe it's what I mentioned above; bringing them inside when nights get too cool, but put them out during the day. This way, they get direct sun, but also avoid the cold.

Joe

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Joe, I'm not sure what the sand particle size is. If I remember correctly, it is just miracle grow cactus soil. Thanks for taking the time to explain the process for bringing them inside. I think I just might begin bringing them in anytime. Sure would like to know why some of the leaves at the bottom are turning yellow and falling off. Thanks to all.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

If you are using Miracle Grow, then you are probably seeing the result of an organic soil collapsing. Over time, organic soils, typically based around peat moss like Miracle Grow, will decompose and as they do, the particle size gets smaller and smaller, eventually clogging up the soil. The result is a poorly drained mix that doesn't allow good air flow to the root zone. This is a recipe for disaster, especially for succulents. The cactus and succulent mx is nothing more than the regular stuff, with sand in it. Sand is way too small to be of any use in a potting mix, and actually has a negative effect. The yellowing leaves suggests overwatering, which is quite easy to do with that type of soil. I'd highly recommend looking into and searching these very forums for a thing called "gritty mix".

Joe

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Chances are the bottom leaves are just being jettisoned by the plant. Older leaves, those at the bottom, will eventually die and drop off. This is normal, especially since the rest of your plant looks good. But do take what Joe has said seriously. He has much more experience than I and soil is always a big factor with succulents.

This post was edited by Crenda on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:35

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Hard to say though without pictures. If the plant is 6" tall and the bottom leaves are yellowing and dropping, there is a problem. If it's 6' tall, then no big deal. Also, plants typically shed the lower leaves when they become unproductive in that they aren't gathering light and producing energy. Without knowing more details, and more importantly, seeing a picture, it's too early to jump to conclusions.

Joe

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    9 years ago

Living in Ohio, I leave my Jades out until the night time lows are approaching freezing. The longer they stay outside, the better chances you have of them blooming.
    This doesn't happen if you bring them in when the nights are only 50.
    {{gwi:610263}}

That being said, a good soil is needed or you risk root rot.

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

Miracle Grow cactus soil killed my beautiful jade about a year ago. Well, that and the fact that I was watering it about once every two weeks. I have progressively moved to grittier and grittier mix until I have finally figured out how to make the (in)famous Al's gritty mix. Give in to the hype and your plant will thank you for it!

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Personally I try to avoid letting my jades bloom. While it is neat, I don't find it all that impressive, and it don't like cleaning up the dead flowers afterward. It also uses a lot of energy that I'd rather see used for growth. But, as I said, it is pretty neat.

Joe

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

if it's flowers you want GO FOR IT not the easiest task for many with jades in some of the lower zones.

All I do is tuck some of my succulents due for late season flowering in side to the left or right side of an open doorway It's less humid but can still provide the same air ut to work they go back out to the " spots" If that high at night use of fan aiming outward if needed but humidity would need to be rather HIGH

Actually no mater what kind of soil you have your jade in soil has ( and does) absolutly nothing to do with lowering or raising outside relative air humidity