Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neoncactus

What should I do with this hylocereus undatus?

NeonCactus
10 years ago

The pot I have it in seems a little small for it now. I wasn't expecting it to grow so fast. Should I transplant it? Should I trellis the branches? Any help is appreciated.

{{gwi:610982}}

Comments (14)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Very, very nice!
    I recommend a sturdy trellis of some sort that will allow it to grow upward, and then spill over at the desired height. I'm still working out a good design for my own.

Josh

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I planned to repot it today since some of the roots appear to be coming out of the top of the soil. I'm guessing it needs more room :p

I will have to find a good method for trellising it. I don't wan't to harm the branches by propping them up too quickly. Do you have a recommendation for trellising?

10 years ago

My plan is to make a square frame, and grow the branches up through the top. Then I'll let them spill over.

Right now, I have mine in a sloppy rig. Just some garden twine and bamboo or dowel. I agree that the arms aren't very flexible once they take a set, so slow and steady to get them where you want them to be. I cinched mine together, a little at a time. After a day or two, I tied the twine a bit tighter. I re-potted July 12, and the far left branch has already grown an additional 6 inches.

Of course, your plant is considerably more substantial than mine. I'm still questioning the ID of mine, as well, but I think this advice applies to most of these fruiting Pitaya.

Josh

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not the best judge when it comes to cacti, but yours doesn't look anything like mine does. Perhaps its because yours is still young? I grew mine from a single cutting back in March and it has never grown soft spines like yours appears to have.

• danbonsai
    10 years ago

Hi Neo,
    If that plant were mine, I would ditch the plastic pot for a nice heavy, slightly larger, fired clay pot, and let it do its thing.

10 years ago

Yes, still waiting on a definitive ID, but I'll have to wait until mature branches appear...or a flower. Mine was grown from seed.

Josh

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Danbonsai

Thanks! I have a large ceramic pot that is currently empty so I will throw it in there tomorrow. I just hate transplanting this thing because I always seem to stab myself; even with gloves on! Now to find some suitable material to trellis it with...

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Neon,

If you've got a suitably crotched tree which you can place it in, the plant would do the rest. If you've got an old flat sheet, you can make a fabric lasso which would wrangle it well. It's a great-looking plant.

• NeonCactus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cactusmcharris, I was just thinking to myself the other day how I needed to plant a palmetto tree in my yard so this thing could grow on it haha.

The only other tree I have in my yard is a live oak, and I don't want the resurrection fern or spanish moss to be disturbed. I've seen these guys take over palm trees before so I know it would only be a matter of time. I've got a pot for him though that will suit him nicely.

• greenman62
    10 years ago

What should you do with it ?
    Well, you could give it to me :)

OK id settle for trading as cutting, if i have anything you want in my trade list.
    ive been looking for a dragon-fruit cutting

• ricardo lara
    7 years ago

Trellies are the best way to go

• ricardo lara
    7 years ago

a 4x4 with a squared top...

• ricardo lara
    7 years ago

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews