Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Id. crassulas, please.

Posted by Oks2n2 1 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 13:35

Hi all!
Just got the these plants from China. I think there are crassulas. Help me, please.
Thank you.
Oksana.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Id. crassulas, please.

yet 2 plants.

o

Possibly "sunset"/"hummel's sunset", for the top one at least?

o

1st: possibly Crassula arborescens ssp. undulatifolia f. variegata. It's a mouthful, I know! Not often found. Please post again, when it has grown a bit.

2nd, plant on left: Crassula ovata 'Tricolor'
Plant on the right could be the same as plant in 1st photo.

o

The first one could possibly be the variegate form called 'Solana,' but I'll have to compare to Peter Lapshin's site.

Agree with Rosemarie that the second plant on the left is 'Tricolor.'

The one on the right (can't see much of it) could very well be 'Maruba Nishiki.'

Josh

o

Is there a difference between C. ovata 'Tricolor' and C. obliqua 'Tricolor'? I can't tell the difference in a search of pictures. I have also seen the latter written as C. ovata 'Obliqua Tricolor.'

I guess I'm not sure if there are 2 different plants or just some confusion over the nomenclature. I have a couple that were named C. obliqua, but we all know how the names that come with the plant can be erroneous.

o

Crenda,
They are the same, just written differently. Most Jades are species ovata, with varying form, such as the oblique leaf Jades. In the case of 'Tricolor,' it not only has an oblique leaf but is also the variegated form.

Josh

o

Thank you, Josh.
It's dangerous when I start over-thinking. LOL

o

Thanks all! Special thanks Josh! :knik:
Other views of the 1st plant

o

once again

o

Here is my Solana. And I think is the 1st plant not Solana?

Crenda, full names of Tricolor and Solana are: Crassula Ovata ssp Obliqua cv Tricolor and Crassula Ovata ssp Obliqua cv Solana. All Obliquas are subspecies or varieties of Ovata species. Pure Crassula Ovata is Crassula Ovata ssp Ovata.
Tricolor and Solana are cultivar names.

This post was edited by Oks2n2 on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 3:16

o

And is the 2nd plant just 'Maruba Nishiki' ?
Thanks in advance to all.
Oksana.

o

Thank you for that description, Oksana. A friend had told me that C. obliqua was not the right name, but didn't know what was. I started searching, got confused, and decided it didn't matter. I would raise them like my other jades.

These were in a pot crammed full of about 16 unrooted cuttings. (I think any roots had probably rotted away, given how wet it was!)

Thanks again to both you and Josh!

o

Crenda,
your Tricolors anyway are very beautiful! My siberian Tticolor grows very slowly therefore is very small.

o

It has been determined that argentea, obliqua, portulacea, articulata, nitida, lucens all fall under Crassula ovata (Miller) (1917) (ovata being the earliest naming). The leaves are variable...thus, some thinking they should still have different species names...but they are still considered ovata. I'm sure there are some that will still argue those names are valid. So, you will still see some of these names in the trade (sometimes making people think they bought a different plant). As long as you know your own plants, maybe it doesn't matter. If you start trading or selling, it's best to get the correct nomenclature. =) There are many named cultivars & they would be written as Crassula ovata plus cultivar name in single quotes, as an example: Crassula ovata 'Tricolor'.

o

rosemariero
All cultivars of Jade trees are descended from two species: Crassula ovata and Crassula arborescens. Depending on the shape of the leaves Crassula ovata can be 2 subspecies: ssp Ovata (oval leaves) and ssp Obliqua (visible, triangular, pointed leaf tips).
Crassula arborescens also has 2 subspecies depending on the shape of the leaves: actually C. arborescens ssp. arborescens and C. arborescens ssp. undulatifolia Tölken http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?akID=31&aaID=2&aiID=A&aID=2389
Best regards Oksana

o

Hi Oksana,
the plant from the first picture seems to be the variegated form of 'Maruba Nishiki' (or "Shin Kagetsu"). The "normal" Maruba Nishiki has light sensitive leaves that bleach out when grown in full sun, comparable to Hummels Sunset. In contrast the variegated form of Maruba Nishiki has some leaf parts that are insensitive to bleaching and thus stay green in full sun.
I also got this plant from China two years ago, where they should call it "Shin Shin" ...
Shin Shin

Seems that you have a nice collection of different jade cultivars. How many different variants do you have?

Best regards from Germany,
Ben

o

Hi, Ben!
I have seen this your pic on the Internet many-many times
and I know all your photos virtually by heart.
I have only jades - 16 different species and cultivars and one no cultivar, monstrose form of Obliqua (by Lapshin). Basically they are still small. There are also 5 leaf crassulas.
Last photos are presented here http://forum.sibmama.ru/viewtopic.php?p=52043773#52043773
With love and respect from Siberia,
Oksana.

o

Ben,
can I use your pics in my article about Jade species and cultivars? I am asked to write about them in our forum.
Thanks in advance.
Oksana.

o

Hi Oksana,
sure you can use my flickr pictures. Maybe an overview of all the jade cultivars and species would be also a good idea for this forum.

You say that you have 16 different jades sorts. Could you maybe make a list of them?

Your plants in sibmama.ru look very good. It is nice to see the progress of the plants over time.

the monstrose obliqua is interesting (-> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0701365726070.html?27). Maybe it is stable and you can propagate it one day. Some of the leaves remind me a bit on the monstrose cultivar "Gargoyle" (later renamed in "Denethor") that was found by Glen (gmaculata). He told me that he tried to increase this phenotyp by taking leaf cuttings of the most monstrose leaves and growing new plants out of them. However, thats the slowest way to propagate :( ...

It is always nice to meet other jade fans here on GW.

All the best,
Ben

o

... by the way. Is it possible for you to exchange plants to europe? I really would be interested in a cutting of the Solana. If yes, just write me a private email.

greetings,
Ben

o

Hi Ben!

I will write a reply to you personally.
With respect to you Oksana.

o

Hi Oksana,
thanks for your private message. Unfortunatelly i can't answer you with an email because your email address is not shown (neither here in Gardenweb, nor in your message). Could you maybe send me another email directly from your email account and not via Gardenweb, so that i can answer you?
Thanks a lot!
Best regards,
Ben

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here