Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oks2n2

Id. crassulas, please.

oks2n2_Siberia1
9 years ago

Hi all!
Just got the these plants from China. I think there are crassulas. Help me, please.
Thank you.
Oksana.

Comments (36)

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yet 2 plants.

• a_shau
    9 years ago

Possibly "sunset"/"hummel's sunset", for the top one at least?

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

1st: possibly Crassula arborescens ssp. undulatifolia f. variegata. It's a mouthful, I know! Not often found. Please post again, when it has grown a bit.

2nd, plant on left: Crassula ovata 'Tricolor'
    Plant on the right could be the same as plant in 1st photo.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

The first one could possibly be the variegate form called 'Solana,' but I'll have to compare to Peter Lapshin's site.

Agree with Rosemarie that the second plant on the left is 'Tricolor.'

The one on the right (can't see much of it) could very well be 'Maruba Nishiki.'

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Is there a difference between C. ovata 'Tricolor' and C. obliqua 'Tricolor'? I can't tell the difference in a search of pictures. I have also seen the latter written as C. ovata 'Obliqua Tricolor.'

I guess I'm not sure if there are 2 different plants or just some confusion over the nomenclature. I have a couple that were named C. obliqua, but we all know how the names that come with the plant can be erroneous.

9 years ago

Crenda,
    They are the same, just written differently. Most Jades are species ovata, with varying form, such as the oblique leaf Jades. In the case of 'Tricolor,' it not only has an oblique leaf but is also the variegated form.

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Thank you, Josh.
    It's dangerous when I start over-thinking. LOL

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! Special thanks Josh! :knik:
    Other views of the 1st plant

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

once again

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my Solana. And I think is the 1st plant not Solana?

Crenda, full names of Tricolor and Solana are: Crassula Ovata ssp Obliqua cv Tricolor and Crassula Ovata ssp Obliqua cv Solana. All Obliquas are subspecies or varieties of Ovata species. Pure Crassula Ovata is Crassula Ovata ssp Ovata.
    Tricolor and Solana are cultivar names.

This post was edited by Oks2n2 on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 3:16

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And is the 2nd plant just 'Maruba Nishiki' ?
    Thanks in advance to all.
    Oksana.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Thank you for that description, Oksana. A friend had told me that C. obliqua was not the right name, but didn't know what was. I started searching, got confused, and decided it didn't matter. I would raise them like my other jades.

These were in a pot crammed full of about 16 unrooted cuttings. (I think any roots had probably rotted away, given how wet it was!)

Thanks again to both you and Josh!

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda,
    your Tricolors anyway are very beautiful! My siberian Tticolor grows very slowly therefore is very small.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

It has been determined that argentea, obliqua, portulacea, articulata, nitida, lucens all fall under Crassula ovata (Miller) (1917) (ovata being the earliest naming). The leaves are variable...thus, some thinking they should still have different species names...but they are still considered ovata. I'm sure there are some that will still argue those names are valid. So, you will still see some of these names in the trade (sometimes making people think they bought a different plant). As long as you know your own plants, maybe it doesn't matter. If you start trading or selling, it's best to get the correct nomenclature. =) There are many named cultivars & they would be written as Crassula ovata plus cultivar name in single quotes, as an example: Crassula ovata 'Tricolor'.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rosemariero
    All cultivars of Jade trees are descended from two species: Crassula ovata and Crassula arborescens. Depending on the shape of the leaves Crassula ovata can be 2 subspecies: ssp Ovata (oval leaves) and ssp Obliqua (visible, triangular, pointed leaf tips).
    Crassula arborescens also has 2 subspecies depending on the shape of the leaves: actually C. arborescens ssp. arborescens and C. arborescens ssp. undulatifolia Tölken http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?akID=31&aaID=2&aiID=A&aID=2389
    Best regards Oksana

• bens2bens
    9 years ago

Hi Oksana,
    the plant from the first picture seems to be the variegated form of 'Maruba Nishiki' (or "Shin Kagetsu"). The "normal" Maruba Nishiki has light sensitive leaves that bleach out when grown in full sun, comparable to Hummels Sunset. In contrast the variegated form of Maruba Nishiki has some leaf parts that are insensitive to bleaching and thus stay green in full sun.
    I also got this plant from China two years ago, where they should call it "Shin Shin" ...
    {{gwi:611751}}

Seems that you have a nice collection of different jade cultivars. How many different variants do you have?

Best regards from Germany,
    Ben

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Ben!
    I have seen this your pic on the Internet many-many times
    and I know all your photos virtually by heart.
    I have only jades - 16 different species and cultivars and one no cultivar, monstrose form of Obliqua (by Lapshin). Basically they are still small. There are also 5 leaf crassulas.
    Last photos are presented here http://forum.sibmama.ru/viewtopic.php?p=52043773#52043773
    With love and respect from Siberia,
    Oksana.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ben,
    can I use your pics in my article about Jade species and cultivars? I am asked to write about them in our forum.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oksana.

• bens2bens
    9 years ago

Hi Oksana,
    sure you can use my flickr pictures. Maybe an overview of all the jade cultivars and species would be also a good idea for this forum.

You say that you have 16 different jades sorts. Could you maybe make a list of them?

Your plants in sibmama.ru look very good. It is nice to see the progress of the plants over time.

the monstrose obliqua is interesting (-> http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0701365726070.html?27). Maybe it is stable and you can propagate it one day. Some of the leaves remind me a bit on the monstrose cultivar "Gargoyle" (later renamed in "Denethor") that was found by Glen (gmaculata). He told me that he tried to increase this phenotyp by taking leaf cuttings of the most monstrose leaves and growing new plants out of them. However, thats the slowest way to propagate :( ...

It is always nice to meet other jade fans here on GW.

All the best,
    Ben

• bens2bens
    9 years ago

... by the way. Is it possible for you to exchange plants to europe? I really would be interested in a cutting of the Solana. If yes, just write me a private email.

greetings,
    Ben

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Ben!

I will write a reply to you personally.
    With respect to you Oksana.

• bens2bens
    9 years ago

Hi Oksana,
    thanks for your private message. Unfortunatelly i can't answer you with an email because your email address is not shown (neither here in Gardenweb, nor in your message). Could you maybe send me another email directly from your email account and not via Gardenweb, so that i can answer you?
    Thanks a lot!
    Best regards,
    Ben

• Martin
    8 years ago

Hi Oksana,

Im curious, how your jades from China look today. Do you have some fresh pictures?

Martin

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Martin,

thank you for question.
    'Kagetsu Nishiki' ('Maruba Nishiki') was so small and I couldn't to root it.

'Shin Kagetsu Nishiki' has lost its variegation. New leaves are green completely

I think it was treated by Colchicine.

• Martin
    8 years ago

Do you grow it inside? Kagetsu Nishiki is environmental sensitive variegated, so it needs full sun (or full light). I am growing the same plant inside (new leaves are green) and outside (new leaves are nice variegated). It is the same like Hummel's Sunset - to have nice variegation it needs full sun.

Martin

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Martin,

yes, all my Jades grow inside. My led-fixture is too bright, that this cultivar ceased to grow practically. As Solana.

And I think not only full sun is required for nice variegation. Low temperatures lead to the same result

It was heavily cloudy at -5 - -10C in April.

It is unlikely that the variegation loss depends on the amount of light. Most likely, it's genetics.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

What is the plant in the second last picture, please, Oksana. I feel Martin is right, outside the plants would colour up better. Maybe it's fresh air too. Do you have a balcony?

What would the colchicine be for?

Anyway, you have some beautiful plants there.

oks2n2_Siberia1 thanked marguerite_gw Zone 9a
  • oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

marguerite

Unfortunately I have no way to grow my plants outside. Only on the windowsill. And I can open the window if the outdoor temperatures allow.

My Jades are more pale in summer on full sun than in winter. My 'Hummel's Sunset' and 'Crosby's Compact' now

Because the chlorophylls are formed little on full sun.

Сolchicine is used to receive chimeras such as variegated plants. But there could be a loss of chimerism in the future.

8 years ago

Your plants look excellent as always, Oksana!
    I wish mine looked as good.

Josh

oks2n2_Siberia1 thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

Thanks, Oksana. I'd better look closely at all new variegates I see.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you, Josh!
    And I dream to see blooming of my Jades as your :)
    All say it is impossible indoor on the Siberian conditions. But I hope on my led-fixture in future.

marguerite
    unfortunately all new variegates are unavailable in Russia. Russia is so big, that truck transportation of the delicate plants is impossible and to carry on airplanes is too expensive.
    So many foreign sellers refuse to ship their plants to Russia. Because there is no guarantee that the recipient will receive a living plant.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago

What about post from Europe? How did you manage to build up such a great collection? A lot of dedication went into it, I would say.

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

marguerite

all my Jades are sustainable cultivars, common in the whole world. Only recently I've got new plants from Ben from Germany. They are on rooting.

Here are all of my plants

I have only one window :)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, Oksana, you really deserve congratulations for growing such beautiful plants under quite difficult circumstances. I'm not sure that they are 'common in the whole world'. Maybe some day when I have something special that you have not already got, I will be able to send it to you too. Do you intend to keep your plants small?

• oks2n2_Siberia1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

marguerite

If last year I studied growing conditions, then this year I studied the influence of light. Because I had to find a suitable led-fixture. My first fixture was too bright. The flavonoids were actively synthesized in the plant leaves, but the plants stopped growing.So my Jades are small.

But this fall I'm going to assemble a new fixture, not so bright. I will have two fixture: the one for growth and beauty and the other for rooting.
    Of course, I dream about new cultivars. Because I like and want to study them.