Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gargaile_gw

How do I propagate by seed?

gargaile
10 years ago

Hello all,

I have plenty of dead flowers primary from echeverias. Can some point me to a tutorial in propagating succulents by seed?

Thank you!
Gary

Comments (15)

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Gary, I've been meaning to do a seed sowing tute. I'm actually going to be doing another big batch this week so I'll take photos and try to put something together.

Have you found the seeds yet? Each flower, if pollinated, will have a grouping of pods inside. I like to just grab the flower by the tips and break the backside off with my fingernail. I then sprinkle the seeds into my hand and use a paintbrush to brush them into the pot. Since Echeveria seeds are so small, my method is to sow them without any mulch, just right on top of the soil - keep it shady and moist without growing algae.

The stuff on my finger that looks like dust... those are them.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Now, I've had great results with germination of many species of mesembs, Agave, Aloe, Gasteria, Anacampseros, etc., etc... but Echeverias have been... not more challenging but far more hesitant to germinate. I have sown thousands upon thousands of seeds in this same pot. I've probably thrown the contents of 100 different flowers in there over the last 8 months or so. I may be able to improve my method a bit but I'm just saying... don't be bashful with the seeds.

• gargaile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. Is this something I can do now or next spring? Meaning save my seeds now and plant them next year?

I love the pictures btw. Before your picture, I threw away many of them because I didn't know how the seeds looked like. -Gary

• gargaile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btw. I know it sounds lazy but...how about just sowing the entire dead flower. Will that work? :). -Gary

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I'm glad it's helpful to you. No, I don't think the tiny seeds will get a fair chance without being released from their pod. On the other hand, I had an Echeveria go to seed and germinate on its own in one of my bins. It happened during a few weeks of early winter rain where everything stayed damp for a few weeks. That's what inspired me to start cross-pollinating and sowing my Echeveria seeds. However, for now they're a bit of a side project. I never keep track of the crosses and all the seeds get tossed in the same pots continuously. If it were my main focus, I'm sure I'd be getting more results but as it were, I'm lost in a sea of mesembs.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

That's better than lost in a blanket of blue, Ryan - I have that from the highest authority. And great tute start tout de suite!

Gary, the seeds need dispersal - this is especially true of Crassulaceae seeds, as their fine-as-dust quality makes it as difficult for them to germinate (and the number of seeds I think would mean the chance of most of them never turning into a new plant very high) as an Opuntia seed is easy to grow.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 11:28

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Hey Ryan, I've been trying to cross several Echi that are in flower now: gibbiflora, 'Big Red, 'Baron Bold and a NOID. I assume if the cross takes, the ovary will swell but then what? Does it just dry and then you remove and sow seed or what? And have you found a specific time that is more successful at producing seed, i.e., when there is dew on the stigma or just when the flower opens or ????? And is temperature an issue?

Howard

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hey, Howard! I'm glad I stopped by on this beautiful Sunday morning... a question for me? :)

Funny, I was just outside taking pictures and killed my camera battery. I've made some very good progress with recent attempts at sowing Echeveria, I'll come back with some pictures a bit later.

As far as pollination goes, I find it very easily done. Honestly, I just take a fluffy brush and dip into each flower that's available. If I want to have any say-so about parentage, it's my job to get to the flowers before the bees do. I find almost every bloom produces seed, some obviously healthier than others. The nectar is very sticky and the pollen is usually overabundant - no reason for failure.

As soon as the pod is dry, the seed is ready - not a moment before and maybe a few weeks of viability before they become crispy in the sun. That probably depends on the weather. You'll get used to the feel of a ripe pod - just gotta get in the rhythm of checking in on them.

I'll share my new improved sowing method later when I can add some photos.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I noticed that Echeveria seeds need very low light to germinate. The plants that grew best were in a pot with shallow soil, so the seedlings were shaded by the walls of the pot. I decided to try a new pot with fresh soil, first making sure the top layer was very fine to prevent seed washing through. Second, providing about 1 inch of shade from the pot wall. Third, adding a layer a screen over the top for further shade. The pots must be kept moist for 2-3 weeks but careful not to over-saturate pot. Daily misting is necessary. To clarify, these pots are not out on top of the table. They're under the table with no direct sunlight, only diffused light that is even further dampened by window screen. At your discretion, seedlings may be exposed to more light gradually, riding the edge of etiolation until they're ready to move up into the real world.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

This pot has plenty of room for more seeds. This pot was less successful, probably because of the cold setting in. Most seeds germinate best under steady ambient heat. The natural time for me is late August/September, after the heat of Summer has passed. My best results are from this September which was oddly warm. That won't stop me from sowing more seed as it becomes available.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Last pic. First generation.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Thx Ryan...these are a great help. What tells you a dried flower has seed? Is it larger than others on the stalk?

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

No prob, Howard.

I can barely tell if they have seed even when I pick them off. The empty ones are definitely not as solid but I can't really tell until I crack one open, wether it has seed or not. Also, some capsules will have poor seed (ashy) while others are much healthier and prolific.

• Dipendra Kumar
    6 years ago

I'm new to succulent germination but I got all the seeds sprouted.

Let me know are they Echevarria leaf is somewhat thick according to me but are they stretching as I kept them in low light

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm