Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilbit7777

Glaze ok?

LilBit7765
9 years ago

Ok.......so I got some pots (ALOT) that were on clearance. I have a question about using the porcelain and glazed pots (I WISH I would've thought about it b4 I bought them lol) but anyway I use gritty mix for my plants now and was wondering will it hurt to use the glazed or porcelain pots at all? I was thinking that the water might stay on there surface obviously more than a clay pot??? Do I even need to worry because I'm using a gritty mix? I'm probably just being stupid paranoid and making a big deal out of nothing but I thought id ask JUST IN CASE LOL as always thanks for all your help

Comments (12)

• savant
    9 years ago

As long as there are holes in the bottom of the pots and you are using a gritty mix for good drainage you shouldn't have any problem. The plants will look better in the glazed pots anyway.

• penfold2
    9 years ago

Glazed ceramic pots are much like plastic pots in that they're both impermeable. Porous clay pots have a slight advantage in that they allow for a bit of evaporative cooling, which can help keep roots cool, but it's usually not a deal breaker. I use a gritty mix in both clay and plastic pots, and it works equally well in both. The soil mix you use will have far more effect than the pot material.

-Chris

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks!!! I'm REAL excited then because I got such GREAT DEALS on them lol! This one is my favorite out of them all! (And no glaze lol) still not sure what plant I'm going to be able to use for it.....but couldn't beat $0.75 for it!

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I might as well post my haul! Lol I know they're NOT plants but......but they ARE the home to our plants! I spent under $15.00 for all of them! :)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More lol oh and they ALL have drain holes even the watering can pot!

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More lol oh and they ALL have drain holes even the watering can pot!

{{!gwi}}

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one! Sorry I don't know how to post multiple pictures at once yet. But I think I made out pretty good!! ðÂÂÂ

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It didn't post the last pic so here goes.....

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I use nothing but glazed pots, because as I have said in the past, I like my plants to be stylin'. To me, a nice pot really makes a plant stand out, rather than a bland, non decorative pot. Also, remember that you can drill drain holes in pots, so don't put that cache that caught your eye back on the shelf.

Joe

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joe! I have drilled quite a few pots already but if I can get them with the holes already I find it easier (some I've cracked trying to drill and I find it depressing ESPECIALLY when it's one I REALLY like lol)

• LilBit7765
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Joe I gotta question. I have a Echeveria (quite a few) I thought these pots would work but to me they appear TOO SMALL. Here's the pics but can I use a bigger one without a problem using the gritty mix? I dont believe I have the next size up. I could always put two in one. Whatcha think? :)

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

Pot size depends mostly on the rootball size, but stability plays a roll too. If the roots are crowded in that nursery pot, then a pot a tad bigger would be ideal. If not, that pot will be fine. You can get away with over potting when using gritty mix, but do pay mind to your watering practices. If you go too big, you can have damp mix at the bottom of the pot if you water too much, but odds are you aren't going to put that in a huge pot, so you'll be fine.

Joe