Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious about tree climbing cactus

Posted by aharriedmom 8B FL Sunset 28 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 14:01

I saw this on Saturday when leaving my kids' karate class. I'd never seen anything like it before but didn't have my camera. Last evening I remembered to take the camera so I could get pictures of it.

What is it? (besides pretty cool) It looks like it's at least 25 feet up in the oak tree.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious about tree climbing cactus

It is an epiphytic cactus, probably aporocactus. Epiphytic cacti live up in the crotches of trees in the jungles of mexico and south america. They live in the organic matter found in the trees, like humidity and warmth (cant stand cold) and can take quite a bit of water. You should see it when it blooms. Beautiful flowers, and quite a bit of them.

o

Oh, wow - I just Googled it. The flowers are terrific!

I had searched for it on Google over the weekend but my "tree climbing cactus" type search terms didn't help me find this particular type.

Thank you!!

o

Just a shot in the dark (Micro knows more than I do), but when I look at the pictures, it reminds me a lot of Rhipsalis; but as Micro said, it's an epiphytic cactus nonetheless.

Planto

o

It could well be Rhipsalis. I am certainly no expert in epiphytics. I have about 6 epiphytics, and they are the most common in cultivation. A flower would id for sure, but i dont even know when epiphytics mainly bloom. I guessing somewhere in april.

o

Selenicereus is my guess - it's not a true epiphyte, as it roots in the ground, but as we all see it's got epiphytic qualities.

o

I grow Selenicereus pteranthus but and that one in the picture reminds me of Selenicereus grandiflorus. They are almost the same thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here