Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
turface alternative

Posted by emee 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 14:09

I have had no luck finding turface in my area. I read that Schultz aquatic plant soil or Schultz clay soil conditioner are substitutes. Can't find those either. I was about to order the aquatic soil online but I see it also has zeolite in it.

Is zeolite acceptable? Anyone have any other suggestions for turface alternative? Thanks for help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: turface alternative

What's your area, or, more specifically, where you at? There's a locator in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surf the Turf

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 14:22

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 14:56

NAPA oil dry part #8822 is also a decent substitute.

o

I have already used the locater & the nearest turface is approx. 2 hr. drive.

I do have access to NAPA oil dry which is Diatomaceous earth or silica. Is silica ok for plants?

I also found oil sorb which is 90% calcined clay with 10% quartz & silica added. The 10% is a known carcinogen. Of course I'm not eating it or breathing it. Which would be best for plants?

Which is best & less toxic. Thanks so much for your help.

o

I like the napa product, which is 100% de if im not mistaken. tried another floor dry substitute, ended up using it as cat litter. love the de

o

Look for Napa Floor Dry (part#8822) as mentioned above. Some oil absorbents will disintegrate when wet, but I've used Floor Dry in my mix for several years, and it still looks the same when repotting plants 2-3 years later. Just be careful not to breathe the dust when working with Floor Dry, or any dusty ingredients. I use a respirator when mixing soil.

-Chris

o

You can also buy turface on Amazon if you do want to stick with that. :)

o

Thanks for everyone's help.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:19

Oreilly oilsorb is a coarse DE tht you can use.

o

Any John Deere dealers or landscape companies in your area? They might not appear in search results. Anyone who maintains or services baseball fields might also use and/or sell it, including parks, schools, etc. Worth giving them a call if you can't find the products already mentioned above.

o

OK, I just found out we have turface products in my area. So, I go on the site, and they have about ninety!!!!! (Slight exaggeration ;) ). Which is the one I am looking for, please?

Thanks so much.

o

I think it's Tuface MVP, but see if someone else confirms that. If no one responds, lookup any post by Tapla, or find his page and email him. It's his mix, and he's very helpful to us newbies to soiless mixes.

o

It's the turface MVP

o

Thanks!!

o

You're welcome! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here