Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
succulentabus

Two IDs please

succulentabus
10 years ago

Hi again. I am looking for help IDing the two plants by the fence. The one behind the 'Alpenglow' and those on either side of the tea table. I will also post closeups and a pic of the bloom.
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have NO clue what this is. It grows and grows and I top it off over and over and stick the top in a different pot and it takes over that pot as well. It hasn't bloomed but the tips got kinda curly recently. Still growing like mad, though. Covered in tiny hairs.

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My best guess for this one is a Pachyphytum compactum, but the leaves seem too rounded.

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the bloom of the last one once it began to dry a bit. I have more pics of the blooms before and after opening if needed.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Okay, have to say, once I saw the Popsicle stick fence, I didn't think you meant the fence behind the pot anymore. :P

That one you call 'Alpenglow' is more likely xGraptosedum 'Bronze'. It had mistakenly been called that in the past & would now be considered a synonym, I believe.

When you said "covered in tiny hairs" ~sort of stopped me in my track of thinking (don't you just LOVE me telling you what's going on in my brain?) ~anyway, I do believe it is a Senecio, just not sure which species. Can you test the leaves to see if the "hairs" rub off?

The 2 tall etiolated guys are Pachy-somethings (like xPachyveria) or a Pachyphytum bracteosum. Hard to say at this point. Yes, pix of the blooms would probably help. =)

Edit: *Don't know what I was thinking before...it is Grapto-, not Cremnosedum.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:52

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, rosemarie! The ID on the 'Bronze' is much appreciated. It was marked 'Alpenglow', 'Vera Higgins', which as I understand it, are also similar, but not the same.

I have included a collage of the 'hairs' on the tall thingy. They are not on every leaf, and are nearly always just one on the tip, or close to the tip. And yes, they are easily removed with the pad of my finger.

The two etiolated guys still don't seem very 'bracteosum'-ish to me. Their blooms were different. And the only reason I can think of for their etiolated leaves is that there is sedum on around it, may be cutting off the light to the bottoms of the plants.

I'd still love some more ideas on these two plants. I'll post pics of the blooms, too. But I don't know how to upload more than one file to a post.

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what the blossoms looked like on the suspected pachy-something.

• qsis
    10 years ago

What a fun pot, succulantabus!

Do you have other threads with more of your scenic creations?

Lee

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have any other threads, but you can see some of my stuff on moby pictures at the link below! Glad you like them! I have two disabled teenaged girls and was trying to get them to garden with me. So I started "fairy gardening." That included polymer clay sculpting, as well. We've had a lot of fun!

Here is a pic of what that garden looks like now. We call it the "Beach Gnomer". Had to pull out the alyssum as it was growing too large and shedding everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: A link to my moby pictures album with various garden pics

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Very nice, like your miniature/fairy gardens. Beautiful! Nice plants, great containers you are using. Inspiring! Rina

• succulentabus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rina! I cut the tip off of my finger (...gardening..) and cant sculpt for a while. I'm bummed! But I wish I knew what I had planted! How hard is it to label these things before they ship? I understand MIS-labeling, but none at all?

It is my mission to ID that tall thingy! It grows better than anything I've ever planted. And I started with a tiny sprig of it because it looked like a tiny cactus (3"). It quadrupled in size before I even planted it! I've not seen any reproduction via the leaves, but I have to cut it back constantly and I like the effect topping gives it. I take the top and stick it in a pot and it just keeps growing. But what on earth is it? I have pored over images upon images and nothing looks the same. Could I really have gotten a rare succulent at Home Depot in Rancho Cucamonga? Wish it would flower, maybe that would help.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Ooo...sorry I've taken so long to get back to this! I've been jumping in & out of the forum the past few days (have horsey biz to tend to, as well as home).

First, I have to say (before I forget), what a cute garden you've created! I like the use of the sea urchin for the table base! Surfboard is cute! Well, all sorts of neat things in there! =) Good for you, getting disabled teens to garden!! Love the Beach Gnomer!

Long ago, I thought I made up the name "Cucamonga" to describe our boys (or pets) when they went bananas. Then found out about Rancho Cucamonga (under 2 hrs away from us)! LOL

Okay...about the plants: The etiolated Pachy-something is still a mystery, having those unusually long/tall inflorescence...still does not ring any bells. Good chance it is a hybrid or intergeneric.

The one with hairs (that rub off)...begs the question, do you have any cats or other furry animals? I get dog hairs on all my plants! Lately, had seeds from Mexican Feather Grass on my plants (& the dogs) that look quite like human, blonde, private hairs. :O Glad I figured out that one! Oh! Didn't say...I do believe those plants are Senecio. Would take further research to narrow down species on it, though.

As for the xGraptosedum 'Bronze', I am fairly certain that both 'Alpenglow' & 'Vera Higgins' are synonyms of 'Bronze'. The plants do take on different looks depending on their growing conditions~hence, the confusion with the names.