Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heckabore

Hatiora Salicomiodes/Drunkard's Dream Needs Help!

Debbie
16 years ago

When I was visiting my in-laws a few months ago, who live in the Southern Calif desert, I bought a cool-looking succulent labeled hatiora salicomoides (drunkard's dream). I live in SF Bay area, so I keep it indoors in a bright room with windows on the east and west sides. I water it only when it is really dry--but it is looks miserable. It's dropping lots of little branchlets.

What am I doing wrong? do you have any suggestions?

Thanks, Hecka

Comments (14)

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

hey Hecka,
    I'm still learning Hatiora myself but here goes...

They are epiphytic jungle cacti, they do like humidity and some water. Is it in good draining soil with some acidity? I dont think they like to become "really dry". No direct sun either (bright light is ok).

For soil consider perlite, orchid bark, nutra peat (coir/peat mix)(there are people who do not use peat for various reasons, I dont know of a better way to introduce acidic organic matter into my soils than this), cacti soil, coarse sand, compost, bonemeal, leaf mold, etc. Keep in mind these things grow epiphyticaly in trees (on cliffs etc) So they are very capable of growing in whatever collects in there location (and then decomposes). Well draining is crucial though for longterm health.

If the pieces that fell from your plant look healthy, shove them back into the soil and hope they root. Or place them in small pots and reserve for later trades with people here.

lastly for indepth information on hatiora and other epiphytic cacti and plants check Epiforums, there are some seriously smart (and nice) people there.

hope it helps?
    -Ethan

oh and if you have liquid B-1 give some to you plant next watering.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Oh, and -- I have mine in a west window; they don't mind some direct sun, but they don't insist on it. I've not found them to be terribly picky about soil, but I agree with red_sea_me that well-draining soil is very much preferable.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

I use equal parts perlite and regular potting soil without peat, (peat of any kind encourages fungus gnats) a handful of clay (not clumping, non deodorizing) cat litter and a handful of vermiculite, mix it well. Mine is in the tightest possible pot and I water with Eleanors VF-11 found at Riteaide with every watering which is about 3 times every two weeks. I've had to water a bit more often now that it's up above 110* daily. It is happily growing outside under a shade tarp.

{{gwi:613155}}

• DRAGONGYRL
    10 years ago

I love my Drunkard's Dream, it is HUGE, and I have had it for many many years. It doesn't mind being potbound, but it does get thirsty, especially in the winter, where it hangs in a southern patio window, In summer I hang it under a shade tree where it gets natural moisture and humidity, yet is protected from the blistering Oklahoma heat. All the new growth happens then. I have succesfully started new plants from the older growth.
    My suggestion is to re-pot yours in cactus mix into a hanging basket, so the branches can overflow and dangle.
    Mine won "Best Houseplant In Show" (not just best succulent!) at the Oklahoma State Fair! (-:
    This is an excellent forum, I never knew it was also called a "spice plant!" (but why?)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I got this plant years ago and treated it like a cactus/haworthia (winter growers) and , guess what, it grows slowly. Imagine that. BUt it has these speckled red marks , maybe because it is all stressed out.. It looks really nice speckled and it blooms every year. So My guess is that I treat it wrong and have never gotten around to correcting it and I am glad that it is flexible in its stressed state. LOL. I have too many plants to be a good mom to all of them.

• PRO
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    7 years ago

This is a three year old thread. My drunkards dream is still with us. I have tried treating it more like a jungle cactus and it is growing faster but it has lost its beautiful colored marks. I miss the old one but I am still letting it grow in its present situation. maybe I will take an arm off, root it, and put that one in a sunnier situation. It is a flexible pot. Maybe with a more moist fast draining bark-ish soil in a sunny-ish situation . It is flexible and long lived in many situations and soil strata. Do you like things grown hard or not. I live in Texas so hard grown things are what is easier..

• HU-788772926
    2 years ago

I have been gifted some stem cuttings Drunkard's Dream. We let them sit out a day and now have put them in damp soil with perlite. I am wondering if I keep the soil damp or let it dry out. Thank you for any info. It's very appreciated.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

I always avoid letting the soil get all the way dry.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

With most succulents I leave dry when trying to root, but for cactus like this that come from the rain forests of Brazil it’s best to keep them misted. They dry out way too fast before they root, this cactus isn’t like a thick Opuntia pad that has the resources to last for a month+ to throw out roots. Cactus that are more rainforest epiphytic type I’ve found respond better with a little moisture and this will help stimulate growth. Dryness just makes these type of cactus dry out in no time. I even root these types in water. A big no no with most succulents🙂.

No need to drench them yet because they don’t have roots, but lighlty misting will keep them from desiccating on ya.

Here’s some info on your cactus.

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    2 years ago

My Hatiora Salicornioides does best when it receives a few hours of full on-direct early morning sunlight, and bright light after. Being in a bright room is not enough. It needs a few hours of direct sunlight

• HU-788772926
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for taking your time and commenting. So very appreciated!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    3 months ago

The blooming show for this year is about to start.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!