Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralij_gq

Fading Aloe Sprouts

Ralij
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new to aloe and have done a bit of reading on it, but can never find out exactly how much water or sun to give them, the sprouts in particular.

I hear full sun plants all the time, but the central Florida sun scorches the mature plants within the time span of 6 hours, they're doing ok on a south facing porch though.

I always hear not to water sprouts much, I separated them with roots intact and planted them in a small pot. I know that they like to dry out, but the soil is bone dry within 24 hours, Should I water every other day or daily at this point? They are roughly 3 inches tall and receive direct sun in the morning but are shaded as of about 1100. They are losing the vibrant green color and becoming darker, what do I need to do?

Comments (5)

• greenman62
    10 years ago

I have several large and small ones.
    i keep hearing about people putting them in full sun, but every time i try, the plant does worse, or some leaves turn brown, burn off completely.

I found a spot where they get sun after about 3:30pm
    its perfect

a freind has 2 HUGE ones (in ground) between 2 houses, they get about 2 hours of afternoon sun

it doesnt seem to hurt to water them every other day, but you could get away with every week, or even 2.
    it depends on how fast the soil dries out, how hot it is etc...
    the link is excellent in explaining it...

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe sun and water

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

I think their location is okay, but while the soil is drying out quickly, I would water them every three days. Even if the soil is completely dry in 24 hours, they can take a day of drought, even as small as they are. Better than watering too often and risking root rot.

As for color: plants in the sun will be darker. I tend to ignore color and go by feel. Are the leaves plump and firm? Dehydrated? Soggy? Here are a few aloe pups (leaves are about 2") establishing themselves in a new pot. They look pretty faded, especially next to the parent plant, and I worried for a bit. However, the leaves feel firm, and you can see the newer leaf is a deep, vibrant green. These pups are doing fine, they just need a little time. I do keep them somewhat hidden behind the larger pot, to shade them from direct sunlight for most of the day.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

i can understand the sprouts not being able to take full sun, but adult ones? i have mine in full southern cali sun (around 10 hours?) and he does perfectly fine. no burning or anything.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

i can understand the sprouts not being able to take full sun, but adult ones? i have mine in full southern cali sun (around 10 hours?) and he does perfectly fine. no burning or anything.

• Ralij
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, yeah the ones in Danielle's picture is pretty close to how they look. They are not firm, but aren't nearly as dehydrated as I've seen the mother plant look (which actually is still fairly dehydrated, aren't they not supposed to have sprouts if they aren't healthy?), but still on the underwatered side.

Is there a correlation between water level and scorching? I had mine trapped inside without access to direct light or water for about 3 weeks (Roommate issues) so it was rather sad looking when it went into the sun and was burnt, it still burns a bit now, but not nearly as bad as it did then. Of course, at the moment it is the healthiest of the 18 adult aloes that I've inherited.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES