Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamthewindwaker

Mealys on cacti

iamthewindwaker
9 years ago

About a week ago I noted some white fluff on my first bigger cactus, and I was worried as I noticed some bug like creatures, but I left it.
Today I picked up a book, and in the section on pests and infection, the first thing is mealy,s, and i realized they looked like what id seen on my cactus.
The only place it can go unfortunately is outside, I live in the southwest of england, and so unfortunately even though its warms, its gone back to being rainy and miserable recently.
All of my plants are indoors, now minus this one, and i have two questions
a) is it going to be ok outside? Its not raining right now, but if it does have some heavy rain tonight(i hope not) im afraid itll get flooded and rot D:
b) How can i get rid of the mealies? I havent got a picture on the computer of it right now, but its several cactus all grouped, with yellow spikes, and lots of them, almost like a sort of fuzz that is sharp but you can stroke??
I desperately want to save this cactus, none of my plants near it look to have been infected, ill keep a close eye, but until then this one will most likely have to be outside until its cleared up.
I can try an add a picture later or tomorrow if that would help, im just unsure how to go about ridding of the mealies both because of how close knit the spines are and because there are several cactus and i dont want to miss anywhere.

Comments (18)

• spikef35
    9 years ago

We need pics it could be a a hairy cactus species. Noah:)

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here ya go c: This was when I first bought it, its bit taller now c:

• spikef35
    9 years ago

No it heathy

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Get it out of that pit it has no holes

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats a old photo, and also its a pot wihtin a pot, theres a plastic one inside the ceramic one, and we cant seem to get the plastic pot free which is irritating /:

• spikef35
    9 years ago

I would love to see me i show u mine if the same spices witch is a golden ball cactus

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thnl you for the id, and thats really lovely, but do you prehaps know the way i need to go about deeling with the mealies on it?

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Here is mine get fungicide 3 it works well but keep it out of the sun when it on it will kill it

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

o: NIce cactus there c:
    Is fungicide 3 the only thing that will work on them? If it is, where can I pick it up and how much is it gunna cost roughly if you know? Is there no cheaper alternative? I know its a nightmare because of the spines im just not sure what to do s:

• spikef35
    9 years ago

No many things will work look it up get it at a garden center maybe 10$ just spray on the mealy spot

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, Ill have a look, I was gunna use rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud but due to the cactus, i decided i should ask s:

• spikef35
    9 years ago

That's ok

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thus far it seems most of them have gone whilest its been outside, just what im assuming are the nests are left, will they cme off by themselevs or will they need to be removed? Sorry for so many questions S:

• spikef35
    9 years ago

Id see how it goes if it gets worst remove

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Rubbing alcohol is good for spot treating. But, if you hve an infestation, use permithrin for garden insects. It will kill the mealies. Spray the soil line as well as the plant. While treating keep it out of the sunlight. If the mealies persist, they may be in the root system as well and then you'l have to break it out of it's plastic prison. If the plastic is not draining it will decline, eventually. If this is true, I'd repot it regardless.
    No eaves it can go under to protect from flooding outside?

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They mostly seem to have gone, just the nests and the occasional one, so I think it may have to be rubbing alcohol and ill have to watch and wait s: Its currently sat with my dads tomatoes and peppers ect in the garden, which are slightly higher up, so the rain gets it but any flooding(which our garden does) will miss. I think its just in a plastic pot with drainage holes but they put it in a ceramic one for some unknown reason, and getting it out thus far its so tricky we've just left it. Ill keep watch and if they come back Ill have to find a way to bust it out, thank you ever so much for your help~

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

You have to spray the alcohol several times as a follow up to make sure you get any eggs. The alcohol evaporates, (which is why to use alcohol).

• iamthewindwaker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

O: Thank you for letting me know I wouldnt have thought to do that s: