Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with decapitated aloe mother?

Posted by ClaireAndLola none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 15:12

About a month and a half ago my big ol' aloe plant was getting too top heavy to support itself, so following advice I found here, I cut the healthy top portion off and planted it in perlite to root. the cut portion was looking a little sad for awhile but the middle leaves seemed okay, so I checked today and sure enough, the bottom has begun to sprout a bunch of little yellow root nubs. I repotted it in a new mix still with a high amount of perlite and misted it, so I'm hoping that it still continues to grow.

The mother now remains in its big pot and hasn't done anything (not sure if its supposed to.) It has three droopy leaves and a decapitated stem, and frankly is just taking up a lot of room. It hasn't really put forth anymore pups...I hate to just toss it, but I thought I would check to see if there was any reason to keep it around or anything I can do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with decapitated aloe mother?

Unless you want to grow it as its own plant (easily done) or send it to someone, I guess not.

o

will it continue to grow? I heard that it isn't likely to grow any new leaves, since the top where they usually sprout has been cut right off.

o

CAL,

If there's stem, you can reroot it and it will grow to be a separate (yet equal) plant. Check out the FAQ.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe FAQ

o

If you keep it, expect some pups to sprout directly out of the top of the decapitated stem, almost like buds or branches. I have one that's about 3 or 4 months old that has 3 pups. Each one is about an inch or two tall. They have no roots of their own, though, so I plan to let them get a bit larger and break them off the main stem to root separately.

o

What kind of aloe are we talking about?

o

wantonamara--I believe it's an aloe vera

o

Pixel Pepper--I just checked the mother this morning and I see what you're talking about!! two little green aloe nubs in between some of the dried up "skin" layers (they haven't even poked out fully yet). that's cool! glad I checked before I chucked it lol..

Do you guys think that I could cut the remaining droopy leaves off, and maybe trim back the roots a little bit? there are only three leaves left, and its sitting in a rather large pot for not much remaining plant...will the new ones continue to grow?

o

I would NOT cut the droopy leaves off. They are the plants stored nutrients and the babes will be feasting on it while growing. If the leaves dry, the nutrients are being reabsorbed into the plant, then you should remove them. leaves are important to the allow.

o

well I was able to re-pot the mother in a slightly smaller pot (needed to be done anyway, the soil had practically turned to dust) and to my surprise, when I shook out the root ball I saw like six pups that hadn't popped out of the soil yet...I'm completely amazed by these plants. I thought the thing was dead! I bought the plant on a whim a few years ago with no knowledge of how to take care of it (or any plants, for that matter..) learning about it is getting more and more interesting the longer I own it :)

o

As long as one does not over water them or freezew them, aloes can be hard to kill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here