Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Using Mulch in the garden - Free city mulch

intelinside1
9 years ago

hey guys it's been a while since i've posted here I was wondering about free city mulch in Long Beach. Los angeles area. The cities here offer free mulch from their green bin recylcing. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the quality of the mulch from the city of long beach?
I'm gonna mix it into my clay soil but also use as a top layer for weed barrier

Anyone have experience with the free city mulch? Does it have weeds or any trash in it?

Comments (5)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I have no experience with the free mulch in California, but they do seem to take great care in preventing the spread of various insects and plant diseases. I really admire that. Weeds or fungus (mushroom or stinkhorn spores)? I don't know.

Here in SW Florida we had Hurricane Charley go through 10 years ago. Tons of trees were damaged and knocked down. The area mulched everything and donated it to cities across the state for their free mulch programs. That mulch also had trees infected with citrus canker and citrus greening in the mix. That was NOT a good thing.

I hope some locals chime in for you. My gut reaction - from across the country LOL - is that it will probably be alright.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

All I know is that when I prune or cut down dead and/or diseased trees, the brush, along with its disease, get mulched up and added to the free city mulch pile. I wouldn't ever use it for landscape mulch.

You may want to post this one in the soil and mulch forum though.

Joe

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Can't advise for you, but we have free mulch too. Never used it, they close before I get off work. Going to get 4 buckets wouldn't be worth it anyhow.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

So is it mulch or compost? Mulch tends to be woody from cities and mixing it into the top layer of soil will tie up nitrogen for a while. If its compost, you should be ok.

tj

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

We've used it here in N.San Diego cnty and never had a problem with it.
    Kathi