Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need advice photo sad plant

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 15:36

Hi All, I've had this plant in my house for about 20 years. It grows tall, becomes contorted, and never has a flower. It is in a southwest facing room but not bright sunlight. Can you tell me what it is, and how to pot it up so that it will be happy? My son brought this home from school when he was in third grade and I hate to discard it for sentimental reasons. I've tried shallow pots, and deeper pots. It's in cactus soil, and gets watered infrequently. I appreciate an ID and advice. Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need advice photo sad plant

I don't know what it is,could be a sedum,rhipsalis or any number of plants,hard to tell.If i were you i'd put it outside,as it looks like it has been reaching for the light.Me personally i would cut that long piece into several pieces and try planting them,and still i'd move it outside where it get more light but not in direct sun.
HTH

I'm sure others will be along with some suggestions as well.
kathi

o

Not a Rhipsalis, but maybe a very, very etiolated Kalanchoe deprived of light. Maybe something like K. barbertonicus. Will never bloom in the winter without sufficient light.

o

I have no idea what it is. maybe a senecio, I think that there is a strange beauty to its unhappy condition. There is a guy on the forum called Caudex that could enshrine by staging it beautifully in one of his pots and then one could give it its own shelf on that wall and it would become art. It took 20 years to make that critter! and it is still growing for the light. Nothing but persistent,

I think that C & S shows should have a competition for the most artfully etiolated plant. It could be a form of plant art like bonzai. I am sorry that I am no help. I do find your plant amazing. We have been seeing on our forms lately, a bunch of etiolated (stretched out because of lack of light). Yours is the most extreme so far.

o

I have no idea what it is. maybe a senecio, I think that there is a strange beauty to its unhappy condition. There is a guy on the forum called Caudex that could enshrine by staging it beautifully in one of his pots and then one could give it its own shelf on that wall and it would become art. It took 20 years to make that critter! and it is still growing for the light. Nothing but persistent,

I think that C & S shows should have a competition for the most artfully etiolated plant. It could be a form of plant art like bonzai. I am sorry that I am no help. I do find your plant amazing. We have been seeing on our forms lately, a bunch of etiolated (stretched out because of lack of light). Yours is the most extreme so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here