Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tingz_gw

Reusing pots/dirt???

Tingz
9 years ago

Friend gave me some dirt and pots. A couple of the pots had plants that died and the dirt still in it. Can I reuse these? Or should I just toss them? Not sure if the plants died due to overwatering/rot, bugs, fungus, etc.

Comments (7)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Dead is dead might not be worth the effort.
    Old soil AKA dirt. As it may have had a pest or fungus problems I wouldn't
    Used pots: Would store them to assist in ridding possible bug or fungus problems that can haunt a very cold area over winter ( storing salvaged pots 101) . Would also bleach soak and scrub with intence rincing before use.
    on a nice warm day to cook what frozen may have missed

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I reuse pots and dirt all the time, though only on plants I know reasonably well why they died (rarely do my plants die from contagious diseases... more from improper watering or improper climate situations). I do, however, remove the dead plant before putting another in the pot (including roots and all).

• hijole
    9 years ago

I agree with nomen nudem, and lzrddr, I've done some of what both of them have suggested. So my experience & my results is what I'll share.
    Old dirt needs to go somewhere, and sense I've never had a fungus or a bug problem here's my take.
    If the soil still looks fresh (what does that look like right. ) I'll use it at the bottom of the pot mixed with some fresh soil, if it's looking old I'll mix it up in the ground for good drainage, because some cactus could care less what the soil looks like, been through or anything they'll just grow.

As far as used pots, I've never cleaned any with bleach but then again no bugs or viruses up in here :)
    About the extent of cleaning the pots, I'll wipe them down with and old rag just to dust them off inside and out, and that's about it, well, that's my story.

Greg

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I would learn to make a good soil, acquire the ingredients to do that, and do it, tossing the old stuff on the compost pile or spreading it on the lawn or garden.

Pots to be reused, I would clean/wash or at least rinse them in a 10% solution of household bleach and warm water & allow them to air dry after a quick rinse. If the pots are gas-permeable (like terra cotta) I would let them soak in the bleach solution for at least 10 minutes (in shade - sun causes the breakdown of sodium hypochlorite [bleach]).

The suggestions above ensure there will be no carry-over issues from the old soil or used pots.

Al

• Tingz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all of your input!

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

many of you must have had a lot of experience with infectious diseases... I have not had a problem reusing soil... maybe because the soils I reuse are so dried out no life left in them.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

I like many have heard of and have experience with infectious diseased and with vriused plants.

Usually a virused plant it's suggested and strongly encouraged to burn the infected plant and soil in order to help stop the spread of a virus from spreading to other plants Virused plants are a can of worms you donot want to have. Virued plants are often commented by many even matser gardeners as the equivlent of HIV AIDS for plants.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?