Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
identification help PLEASE!!!

Posted by mrou none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 16:29

Please help identify this plant! I purchased it at CVS after staring at it for months on the shelf. I assumed it was a cactus by its physical features. It didn't grow for weeks at first, but now is growing at such a fast rate that it's bending over. I need help identifying it so I can find proper care instructions for this. Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: identification help PLEASE!!!

Your plant is a succulent, but not a cactus. It looks like a sempervivum (hens and chicks) blooming to me, but since I don't (and can't) grow these, I'll defer to our experts.

If it IS a semp, the plant will die after blooming. But don't dispair, they leave babies (chicks) behind.

o

• Posted by mrou none (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:13

Thank you so much. I did put it in the hens and chick's family as well but thought they were outdoor succulents. But I do see small seedlings growing at the bottom of the pot so that makes sense. ThanKS again!

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 19:09

Looks like sempervivum to me too, and they really do better outdoors - unless you are in hot & humid area.
I have many of them outside, they are hardy & overwinter in colder zone than mine.

My personal opinion is that they are tortured indoors - pls. no offence! Look how nice they grow outside, they will never look same indoors.

It is good idea to put zone & even a state where you live next to your name, so you can get better advice...

Your holiday cacti next to it looks good (can't see much, but soil looks peaty?)

Rina

o

• Posted by mrou none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:19

Sorry for the delayed response. I am going to edit my profile and put my zone info. I live in Rensselaer NY. It's a small town across from Albany. Unfortunately, I can't put any plans outside of my house. Long story short, I rent an apartment above a family that is quite destructive along with their dogs that are quite destructive too! LOL. That's why I have all of my Plant on my back porch.

o

• Posted by mrou zone 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:22

I'm located in zone 5

o

Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 18:13

As long as they are outside, that's good. They will overwinter outside too. You can pot them up into larger pot & let them 'multiply' - you mentioned that there are already little chicks growing.
As mentioned, the plant with flower will die, but the chicks will replace it. Make sure you use well draining mix.
I do have some in outside pots too.

photo 100_0125.jpg  photo 100_0124.jpg  photo 100_0047.jpg  photo 100_0044.jpg  photo 100_0042.jpg

All of these are in containers. And they stay outside year round.
Is your back porch open?

Rina

o

Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 16:57

Yes for the most part it's open. It's full of windows and no curtains are hung. So the sun and heat are pretty brutal out here. It's now in a new big pot so it can catch all the chicks that fall and grow. I picked up another plant that I need identified. I'm posting it next.

o

Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 21:53

Is that photo of the same plant few days later?
If so, did you repot it into larger pot?

Rina

o

Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 7:52

Yes it is and yes I did repot it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here