Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aldeberan_gw

Jade Roots

Aldeberan
9 years ago

Hi guys, been reading here a couple of years but didn't have an account.

About three weeks ago I transplanted my succulents into a gritty mix: 2 parts each of napa floor dry (sifted to >1/8") and pea gravel (washed and sifted to 1/8"), and 1.5 parts I have a couple of (recently acquired) 'Gollum' and 'E.T's Fingers' that have done well. They quickly grew stable root systems and have acclimated well to a return to the yard from the protective shade of the covered deck.

My regular jade seems less well... sort of. I've had it a couple of years and it got spindly in my old apartment sitting in a NE window. I'm in a new living situation now and can move plants outdoors for summer. My Jades had been 4 cuttings in a 3" pot and not surprisingly were extremely root bound. I put 3 of the original cuttings into a 6" pot, and put the nicest one in it's own 3" pot. I also pruned them all lightly - nowhere near as hard as I have routinely seen on the board.

All the Jades are showing new buds and leaves at the cut points. They're slowly acclimating to the sun. The one in it's own pot has not put out a stable root system. I've knocked it around a few times now when watering or moving it in/out of the sun (I've read to only start watering after a repot when new growth is seen). Today I tied it to some stakes to try to prevent that from happening again, and keep it straight up in the soil (larger rocks weren't doing it).

Is there something I should be doing to encourage development of a larger root system? Should I pinch back the new growth to get the plant to work on roots instead?

{{gwi:617165}}

{{gwi:617166}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022