Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjames_gw

NEWBIES please read this!!!!!

brodyjames_gw
9 years ago

I am posting this for the second time!

PLEASE! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Add your zone to your profile so it shows up with your posts. Playing 20 questions is not fun when we are trying to help you with your plants.

Americans: telling us just the state that you live in is not helpful, because most states have more than one zone.

Other countries: the same goes for you guys....one region may be different from another one

USA (couldn't find a reliable one for the world as a whole):
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Obviously, if you've been kind enough to add your zone, then this doesn't apply to you.

Thank you! Rant over.

Nancy

Comments (16)

• Isis30
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, I added mine :)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

I like the rantful Nancy. So, for those not listing their zone, are they playing zone defense?

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:23

• dekumask
    9 years ago

Sorry; I thought I had added my zone to my post when I made my topic!

Also I wasn't aware I could also put it in my profile, so thanks for that info!

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, Jeff! They must be....and they're GOOD at it! :)

D and I, thank you!

Nancy

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Why does my zone show on some posts but not others?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

It appears Nancy Drew a line in the sand...;-)

Whenever folks are asked to provide their zone I always add that your state is also helpful as zone 6 Utah varies from zone 6 Ohio.

tj

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Should we remind the suxs what zone there in too ?

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I haven't heard a Nancy Drew joke in almost 25 years!
    :P

Nancy

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    9 years ago

Zone 42 here.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Good reminder, Nancy...

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

It's also incredibly useful to give some idea of location. I think this is most important for the "warmer" zones.

For example Miami, San Francisco and Phoenix (parts) are zone 10. Miami is nearly tropical, warm and humid. Phoenix is extremely hot and dry. San Francisco is cool and foggy. A completely different set of plants thrive in all three places. Just giving the USDA zone doesn't help much when it comes to zones 9-10.

Of course just specifying California zone 10 is not enough. Some such locations have average highs in the low 60s in August, others average almost 50 degrees warmer.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

Below are two examples what "zone 10" looks like, just in the state of California.

I don't mean to confuse the newbies. However, particularly for people in zone 9 and 10, additional mention of a state is crucial. For those in California some extra information, such as Sunset zone, city, zip code, etc. is appropriate.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Any thoughts on including elevation too ? 1000 feet in any zone 7 is different than 400 feet in any zone 7

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

I think the point is to give whatever minimal information that defines one's climate. Gardenweb gives us very little space, so it needs to be kept simple.

The goal is to allow others to understand what plants will grow in one's area.

If someone said they lived in Virginia, zone 7, 1000 ft, would others (let's say people in VA) conclude that they had a significantly different climate, and could grow a completely different set of plants than someone nearby at 400 ft? I suspect "zone 7 VA" conveys the necessary info.

However, the climate in zone 7 VA is radically different from zone 7 WA. And within Washington state, climates as diverse as rainy Olympia, incredibly snowy areas of the Cascade Mountains, and parts of dry Eastern WA are all zone 7. Additional information beyond just the state is appropriate in WA. For example: Zone 7 WA Sunset zone 4 or zone 7 Olympia WA.

Again, the goal should be to avoid confusion, and it needs be kept simple. Zone, state, and additional info if necessary (Sunset zone or city or zip code, etc.).

• brodyjames_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly, Mark, exactly! :)

I used to work in a nursery and, while not exactly the same thing as growing zones, when asked where a certain plant that needed "help" was located at a person's house, on average, 3 out of 10 customers would answer along the lines of "under my kitchen window". The answer I was looking for was north, south, east or west!

Nancy

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Another point would be: Photos...lots and lots of photos, the more the better (up to 3 or 4 at least)...and please don't post fuzzy shots that hurt our eyes, or shots posted sideways.

There are ways to fix them...use them.