Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

This made me cry...

chaparralgirl
10 years ago

{{gwi:617870}}

Yes, I did a search on the Forum, and yes, I saw that this is hardly a new thing, or a new topic of discussion. STILL. I saw this at Wal-Mart the other day (alongside some positively gorgeous succulents that I. CAN'T. BUY., which also made me cry), and I simply had to take a picture and share. I'm left bereft, on my knees, begging the question, "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy, o Lord in Heaven??? Whyyyyyy???" (Which was followed by the equally appropriate question, "How the aech-ee-double-hockey-sticks are these poor things supposed to photosynthesize???")

Of course, I know the answer. It's for the same reason they glue those ridiculous straw flowers onto plants that don't even produce flowers of that type. To sell plants. Because most average shoppers don't know a Crassulaceae from Cacti. Nor do they care. I just think it's a crime - a crime, I tell you! - to do that to those poor plants, perfect just they way they were before being *gag* painted.

*sigh*

*CG*

Comments (15)

• akebono
    10 years ago

I just threw up in my mouth.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I think many of these painted plants will end up dying within a short time,
    A blessing to most of us, who see this as a crime.

I abhor painted succulents, painted and glittered Poinsettias, dyed blue Phalaenopsis, "Moon" cactus, even "Lucky Bamboo," which isn't even bamboo. In short, I hate deception, and that is what this is.

Christopher.

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 21:25

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's deception. Equally as much, it's also a desecration, a deformation. It's like wanting to experience traditional Chinese culture, but instead going to one of those tourist trap crap shops in Chinatown and buying a little golden Buddah and a fake kung fu costume. Or going to Taco Bell for Mexican food. Seeing the Graptos painted like that was bad enough; I actually got angry when I saw the Haworthias. So beautiful on their own! Painting them just ruins them! At least the stupid straw flower can be taken off with relatively little harm to the plant!

*grr!*

*CG*

• cardiovascular
    10 years ago

Is it appropriate that they are keeping these painted plants on a dark shelf? While they are at it, they should change the care instructions to "no light required".

• nat_lia
    10 years ago

Poor plants! If they can speak.....they would say, "Please don't paint me!".

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Nowonder why they have identified a medical condition in children of nature deficit.. The children of executives of large succulent factories are infecting our children with it.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's disgusting!! Last year I saw this ivy plant in a store and it had some leaves that had different colors on them.I never gave paint a thought,just thought I liked the looks of it and it was cheap so I got it.It wasn't until a few weeks later when I was going to transplant it that I took a good look,and yup,those leaves had been painted.Looks like they just used a light spray of paint,not like the ones shown in the above post.

Now i'm more aware of what's out there.
    Kathi

• rachpreach
    10 years ago

I saw the exact same thing down here in Louisiana. I was so disgusted. Why would you want a cobalt blue plant? So unnatural.

• CactusN00b
    10 years ago

I hate to see this as well. I used to always wonder why anyone would do this to plants .. but when you think about it, its an easy answer.

Unfortunately , the bottom line is this...people buy them. (I have no idea why either ...)
    If they didn't sell, they wouldn't keep doing it.

feel free to apply this logic to any stupid or distasteful product you encounter. it works. sadly.

• cagedbirdsinging
    10 years ago

I don't understand why they don't just do this to the plastic succulents for the folks that, for some reason, enjoy this aesthetic.

On live plants, not only does it have a negative effect on the plant itself, it just flakes off due to the nature of the surface.

Why not colored plastic succulents for tacky decoration instead? =(

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caged: That's actually what I thought they were at first - plastic. Then I got a good look and realized they were live plants, painted. Ugh. I agree with you. Why not just have tacky plastic plants, instead of painting live ones?

*CG*

• Colleen E
    10 years ago

Why not colored plastic succulents for tacky decoration instead?

Exactly. The key word being tacky. Haha.

Nice to see you, Jessica! :)

Colleen

• laura1
    10 years ago

OMG that is awful!

I'm the one over in the corner pulling the straw flowers off the cacti...hehe!

• chaparralgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Colleen! :) Not sure how "back" I am, but figured the painted plants warranted a visit.

Laura: You go, girl! I'll cover you! BTW, my dad's family lives in Tampa. Go, Bucks!

*CG*

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Here is the worst part.....People will still buy them.They sell.....:-(

I think times have changed...You would of never seen this years ago when people were satisfied with the simple plain things in life.

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 10:05